• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yaroslavd

[.net] OS X and C#

This topic is 3426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am on a Mac OS X (Leopard) machine. I love C# and would like to use it for my next project. I just installed Mono and MonoDevelop. However, even just by opening up the editor I can see it's no Visual Studio. In fact, it looks like a Linux program ported to Mac instead of a native Mac program. So anyways, I was wondering if anyone is developing C# programs on a Mac. If so, what do you use? MonoDevelop or something else? I also have VMWareFusion and VS2008, so I can use that, but I would rather find a native Mac solution so that I don't have to run Windows virtually. Thanks, Yaroslav

Advertisement
Personally I have found using Fusion or Boot Camp and VS is the best way to go when working with C#. Although the projects I am using C# for are Windows specific. If you are using C# to develop you solutions for Windows I suggest you stick with Fusion or go the boot camp route. You will not find an equivalent environment in OS-X.

FWIW I would second the last posters view..

I have been developing several Windows applications in parallel with OS X applications over the last few years, all involving hardware accelerated OpenGL. For these projects I have found Visual Studio running in Parallels to be totally suited to the task.

The best setup is to use 'Full Screen' mode for Parallels and dedicate one monitor to it (if you have two). In this mode both the window updating in windows itself, and the OpenGL windows all render really fast, and accurately.

It is possible to work in Coherence mode, but do expect some weirdness then...

Overall I prefer XCode to Visual Studio, but both have their good and bad points.
Thinking out-loud.. I wonder if it would be possible to interface a C# compiler into XCode?

On a similar situation (C#/OpenGL from Linux), I use Visual Studio inside VirtualBox (free and more feature-complete compared to Parallels, also available on Macs). Set up seamless mode (integrates guest windows with the host), add a shared folder, compile on VS and run on your host. Works perfectly.

The latest version of VirtualBox can also accelerate OpenGL applications *within* the guest, so you can test on Windows and MacOS without rebooting.

Quote:
Original post by Fiddler
On a similar situation (C#/OpenGL from Linux), I use Visual Studio inside VirtualBox (free and more feature-complete compared to Parallels, also available on Macs). Set up seamless mode (integrates guest windows with the host), add a shared folder, compile on VS and run on your host. Works perfectly.

The latest version of VirtualBox can also accelerate OpenGL applications *within* the guest, so you can test on Windows and MacOS without rebooting.

You make it sound like Parallels (and VMWare) haven't been supporting host-integrated windows ("Coherence" view on Parallels) and OpenGL acceleration since forever. 3D acceleration in VirtualBox has only just been implemented if the changelog is anything to go by.

XCode is good though.

Quote:
Original post by scratt
FWIW I would second the last posters view..

I have been developing several Windows applications in parallel with OS X applications over the last few years, all involving hardware accelerated OpenGL. For these projects I have found Visual Studio running in Parallels to be totally suited to the task.

The best setup is to use 'Full Screen' mode for Parallels and dedicate one monitor to it (if you have two). In this mode both the window updating in windows itself, and the OpenGL windows all render really fast, and accurately.

It is possible to work in Coherence mode, but do expect some weirdness then...

Overall I prefer XCode to Visual Studio, but both have their good and bad points.
Thinking out-loud.. I wonder if it would be possible to interface a C# compiler into XCode?

I've never used it, but this page: http://code.google.com/p/cocoa-sharp-dev/wiki/CSharpPlugin has some discussion about it. I'm planning on making the move from an old PC to a mac pro and am getting my ducks in a row - programming in C# on OSX is one of those ducks I need to sort out. At last resort I'll use fusion or something to develop in MSDEV and run under OSX with a mapped drive.

Quote:
Original post by Sphet
I'm planning on making the move from an old PC to a mac pro and am getting my ducks in a row - programming in C# on OSX is one of those ducks I need to sort out.

Why? If you do professional C# development - Windows Forms, ASP.NET - or serious hobby development - XNA, maybe - then you should maintain a dedicated Windows box, not least because those environments are very barely functional on OS X.

Why C# specifically? If you're moving to OS X, embrace the OS X tools and development approaches. If you can't, maybe you shouldn't be moving to OS X.

Yeah, I think you are right. I just started up a project in XNA. I thought it'd be cool to make something for the IPhone, but Objective-C looks like a pain in the ass. Unfortunately, I can't run my code via VMWare Fusion since it can't find my graphics card, so it looks like I'll have to reboot in Bootcamp. And I would never thinking of switching out of OS X for anything but game development - it's just so much nicer than Windows.

Quote:
Original post by yaroslavd
...Objective-C looks like a pain in the ass.

It's not. You just have to learn it. It's simpler and richer than C++ in a number of ways. *shrug*

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
It's not. You just have to learn it. It's simpler and richer than C++ in a number of ways. *shrug*

what isn't simpler and richer than c++? :) *shrug*

but he's used to c# which is simpler and richer than c++, too. so it's a different base.

i'm not sure how well mono works on osx, but i can understand him to want to continue to use it after switching from windows. still, learning the new environment (objective c, xcode) should be done, too. just for being able to say "yes, i know it".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!