[.net] OS X and C#

Started by
19 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Sphet
I'm planning on making the move from an old PC to a mac pro and am getting my ducks in a row - programming in C# on OSX is one of those ducks I need to sort out.

Why? If you do professional C# development - Windows Forms, ASP.NET - or serious hobby development - XNA, maybe - then you should maintain a dedicated Windows box, not least because those environments are very barely functional on OS X.

Why C# specifically? If you're moving to OS X, embrace the OS X tools and development approaches. If you can't, maybe you shouldn't be moving to OS X.

Well, I've been working in C/C++ under x86/windows for the best part of 15 years now. Maybe it's just time for a new set of personal challenges.

At work I have recently moved to C# for a specific tool set we're developing, and would like to have an environment at home I can fool around on to knock together some ideas if they strike me. When working on small sample programs or developing different subsystem interfaces, or the like, I believe that C# is a great language. Of course there is the right language for each problem, be it C++, Objective-C or C#, among countless others.

I'm moving to a Mac platform because of some other work I want to do that is unrelated to programming both for myself and my wife. I still need to run some PC software, so while a second computer would be an option, I have neither the desk space, nor the money for a decent rig. As such, a Mac with dual boot and virtualization is a good enough solution.

Obviously, some of the the time I spend there will include learning Objective-C and the native API, as well as the XCode IDE. For quick projects that involve just simple data manipulation I think I'll use C#. Of course, python is also an option. I'm looking forward to new things to learn, whatever happens.
Advertisement
At work I have recently moved to C# for a specific tool set we're developing, and would like to have an environment at home I can fool around on to knock together some ideas if they strike me. When working on small sample programs or developing different subsystem interfaces, or the like, I believe that C# is a great language. Of course there is the right language for each problem, be it C++, Objective-C or C#, among countless others.

The solution, then, is obvious and simple: Visual Studio on Windows in a virtualized guest (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox, whatever).

C# on OS X languishes because there is no real demand for it. OS X programmers don't need or want it; they're quite happy with Objective-C/Cocoa/Cocoa Touch and bindings like PyObjC and RubyCocoa. Windows programmers don't need it; they're on Windows, after all! And rare is the OS X programmer who attempts to develop ASP.NET solutions natively - why bother?

I moved my personal computing to OS X primarily for Final Cut Pro. (Ironically, I haven't even fired it up yet.) I did the research before making the move to ensure I could still dabble in programming using Python, C, C++ and other languages. I've since picked up Objective-C and found it quite enjoyable, too. I evaluated the possibilities for C# on OS X, and decided it wasn't worth the hassle - Mono + SharpDevelop + Gtk#? I'll pass. Unlike you, I have no great affection for C# or .NET, and consider it purely a work tool.

YMMV, but OS X simply isn't a great platform for C# as yet (which undermines the "C# is portable" hype considerably).
I moved my personal computing to OS X primarily for Final Cut Pro. (Ironically, I haven't even fired it up yet.)

Glad I'm not the only one driven by this need. That's ultimately the reason for my move.

It may well be that Objective-C is the right place to spend my time, but until I've got my hands on the machine I won't know where to spend my time. Plus, Gtk# sounds like a terrible idea, and I would go with one of the C# bindings to native UI.

Interesting to hear someone else's experience - thanks for that.

S.
I moved my personal computing to OS X primarily for Final Cut Pro. (Ironically, I haven't even fired it up yet.)

Glad I'm not the only one driven by this need. That's ultimately the reason for my move.

I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of animation and video editing, but somehow I'm picking up OpenGL and have a renewed interest in game programming... Curses! [smile]

Quote:It may well be that Objective-C is the right place to spend my time, but until I've got my hands on the machine I won't know where to spend my time. Plus, Gtk# sounds like a terrible idea, and I would go with one of the C# bindings to native UI.

Cocoa#?

Quote:Interesting to hear someone else's experience - thanks for that.

Any time. I had the fortune of already being a Python programmer, so I was ready to go from day one as soon as I got my Mac. I could then learn Objective-C leisurely. I was employed doing ASP.NET and Adobe Flex at the time, but I actually liked the fact that I couldn't bring work home.

Good luck with everything.
Quote:Original post by Fiddler
On a similar situation (C#/OpenGL from Linux), I use Visual Studio inside VirtualBox (free and more feature-complete compared to Parallels, also available on Macs). Set up seamless mode (integrates guest windows with the host), add a shared folder, compile on VS and run on your host. Works perfectly.

The latest version of VirtualBox can also accelerate OpenGL applications *within* the guest, so you can test on Windows and MacOS without rebooting.

I was using the MonoDevelop 2.0 alpha 1 on MacOS, but after seeing this comment I had to try it out. VirtualBox works quite well on MacOS with Windows XP as a client running in seamless mode with VS 2008. This is probably what I will use from now on for OS X C# development.
Quote:It may well be that Objective-C is the right place to spend my time, but until I've got my hands on the machine I won't know where to spend my time. Plus, Gtk# sounds like a terrible idea, and I would go with one of the C# bindings to native UI.

Cocoa#?

Please no :-P. There are much better alternatives than Cocoa#... http://www.monobjc.net/ is much better (there are other objective-c <--> C# wrappers that are faster, but I don't think anything compares to Monobjc's API coverage).
Interesting. Do either of these allow development for the IPhone?
Quote:Original post by yaroslavd
Interesting. Do either of these allow development for the IPhone?

No, because there is neither Mono nor .NET for iPhone, so the resulting assemblies wouldn't run. Also, Cocoa Touch is different than Cocoa.
Quote:Original post by bronxbomber92

Cocoa#?

Please no :-P. There are much better alternatives than Cocoa#... http://www.monobjc.net/ is much better (there are other objective-c <--> C# wrappers that are faster, but I don't think anything compares to Monobjc's API coverage).

Thanks for the tip.
http://unity3d.com/

From what I recall, Unity lets you do iPhone development and also is Mono-friendly (at least, I remember people talking on #mono about it).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement