Learning Java Game programing!

Started by
2 comments, last by Kodexx 15 years, 3 months ago
Ok so ive just been wondering, If i wanted to make a java web based mmorpg, like runescape classic or Devious Mud. Should i bother learning every single detail about the java programming language or are there certain areas i should only focus on to achieve my goal. And would anyone know how long it would take to actually learn Java enough to even get started on making an mmo? i was thinking like 1 - 2 years to be good enough at java to get started.
Advertisement
if you're going to make an MUD, it is relatively simple. Java is a pretty easy language to pick up. If you're dedicated and have a good book, learning Java itself (or at least enough to call yourself a java programmer) could take you anywhere from a month to a year. I'd give it another month for networking and GUI. If you want to use graphics, I'd say a month for 2D and anywhere from 3 months to 2 years for 3D. This is just based on my personal experience with Java, and some of the numbers are generous, others not so much. I'm also saying this is enough to begin your work on solid ground. You'll pick up things on the way.

I'd say look at Head First Java. It covers everything from the basics of the language to Swing, networking, and jar management. It also focuses on the object-oriented features of Java.

Quote:Original post by Kodexx=
Should i bother learning every single detail about the java programming language or are there certain areas i should only focus on to achieve my goal.

I don't know too much about Java, but to me that question's a lot like "Should I learn a lot of general CS, or just specific parts?" The answer th that is "yes". The more you learn on the subject, the more you'll understand it as a whole. And specializing in your niche is the eventual goal, I'd bet.

Organizing your code, knowing how to OO your ideas, knowing what of the standard library to use, knowing when to NOT use the standard library, or when to rather extend it, these I believe are universally good for most languages.

1-2 years? Not Java. C++, maybe, but not Java, I don't think.
Thanks for the responses guys,

I think c++ is a little more complicated then Java actually..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement