Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX7 palettes how & why use them

This topic is 6019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok i have been reading over the DX7 sdk documentation. Now i am confused. Are we able to change palatte entries for each surface, each having a different palatte entry andstill keep those changes when we blit to the primary surface(or backbuffer). or would it just be easier to make a routine that would lock the surfaces and replace the pixels and then unlock them. for example...i hope every one has at least played on version of the famous street fighter or King of Fighters Series. if player one and player 2 pick the same character. the palattes for player to are changed. This is the effect i want to achive thank for your help in advanced I AM ALPHA & OMEGA

Hi,

I''m pretty sure that when you blit a palettized surface to the primary surface, it ignores the palette attached to the surface blitted, and uses the one attached to the primary surface. The reason you would want to change palette entries instead of the surface data itself, is speed and simplicity for cycling colors on one surface more than anything. In your case, where you want to have two of the same graphic but with different colors, you would probably have to make a copy of the surface and change the pixels manually on the copy. Hope I helped.