How much info?

Started by
30 comments, last by Durakken 15 years, 3 months ago
I think this is probably the best place for this, but not positive. When you are trying to recruit a team, sell your game, or just talking about it how much should you tell people? I don't quite mind telling everything because the product will never be the same as what you want if you're not involved with it, but still theft is there and info should be kept to a minimum. Then I love coming up with full histories and backgrounds and that tends to be a lot of information and really how much of that is good to talk about? Of course there is a minimum too and when you're more of a creating the world, the ideas, the character, the story, type of person such as me, just what is the minimum that you should show as every template I've followed never works very well. So I'm in the problem of having all this content in my head or written down that I can't get anyone to help with creating, which means I can get anywhere without doing it myself which I admit, requires more work on my part as that's not my main concern, as it shouldn't be, and because I can't get this help I can't create that which might draw people to work on something. Now I don't intend to do minimum, but I need to know what people want to see to influence them to help. It just seems to me that people want me to do everything I am asking for there help to get done and that doesn't make much sense to me so that leave me with the question of... How much information on a project should I reveal? And what should I show as far as content? Is there much of a point to getting a programmer if I can program the game to the point where a programmer is willing to help?
Advertisement
Dur wrote:
>When you are trying to recruit a team, sell your game, or just talking about it how much should you tell people?

When you are just discerning their availability or interest or suitability for the project, just the bare facts: genre, platform, your experience level, the reason/goal for doing the project.

Once you've determined that they're available, interested, and suitable, you get them to sign an NDA, and then you can divulge everything.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

what would you consider proof of experience level then for the world designing type people? Their art and programming skill wouldn't be a worthwhile thing to show if they are secondary or tertiary skills. I suppose one can write up stuff, but then isn't that giving too much info?

Also on a subnote...I don't get what "goal" for doing this is. I just want to do something. I have always wanted to do it and I will do it. There really isn't any question in my mind as to that. What is my goal? To create something I love. where that leads always seems a bit reaching to me... My goal isn't to change the world or create a company or whatever else. Those are things that come from these types of things but not the goal.

My goal is not to make a retail product, or freeware, or create a company, or to sell my ideas, or to get a job. If I do this I CAN do those, but what is the point of those if I am not doing what I love. Though that really isn't such a good selling point I've learned.
Du wrote:
>what would you consider proof of experience level then for the world designing type people?

How much experience do you require? Why do you require that much experience? Why do you require proof? Since you have no experience, why do you think anybody experienced will want to help you?

>I suppose one can write up stuff, but then isn't that giving too much info?

I already answered this question. Which part of my previous answer was unclear?

>Also on a subnote...I don't get what "goal" for doing this is. I just want to do something. ... To create something I love.

I don't get why you can't just say that your goal is to do "something" for the sake of learning how to do it.

>Though that really isn't such a good selling point I've learned.

That's a problem, all right. (^_^) But ya gotta be honest, if you want honesty in return.

Like i said How does one who's prime focus is to create the world, it's character, and the story show that they have experience other than by having already created a game or giving the full game design. The former seems, not correct as if I created a game why would i be asking for your help and if the latter is the information problem and while an NDA would be a somewhat solution I have to then ask how do you get someone to sign an NDA to see your experience?

The answer seems to create a really bad game and shows that you are bad...which doesn't solve the problem for the most part as I don't think anyone would go hey you created a horrible game I wanna work with you!
Re:

Tom though that you mean the "world designing" people was one of the people you want to recruit. But you meant that you are the "world designing" person. Tom mentioned that you could show genre, platform, your experience level, the reason/goal for doing the project. You were asking how you could show your experience level in world design.

I suppose you could do so if you had previous work.
Du wrote:
>How does one who's prime focus is to create the world, it's character, and the story show that they have experience other than by having already created a game or giving the full game design.

Does that really show "experience"? Showing someone a game design doesn't show "experience," it shows that you've written a game design and what the game design is.

Why is it necessary to show experience?

Which party are you talking about - you or the prospective collaborator? I expect that since your goal is to work on your first game, that any collaborators you can get will be just as inexperienced as you.

>The former

You're losing me. Can you pose your questions more succinctly please.

> if I created a game why would i be asking for your help

Why would you lie to somebody and say you created a game, when he's going to figure out soon enough (if he tries to collaborate with you) that you never did any such thing?

>and if the latter is the information problem and

I'm totally lost by your convoluted wording. Sorry.

>while an NDA would be a somewhat solution I have to then ask how do you get someone to sign an NDA to see your experience?

The purpose of the NDA is for him to keep your precious game design secret, to not go around blabbing it to others, to not go off and do your idea without you. That's all the NDA does. You asked how much information you should give. So I answered that question. Once the NDA is executed, you can tell him everything.

It doesn't have anything to do with experience. How did experience sneak into this question?

Quote:Original post by Wai
you meant that you are the "world designing" person. Tom mentioned that you could show genre, platform, your experience level, the reason/goal for doing the project. You were asking how you could show your experience level in world design.

Really? Is that how this got off track?

I can't tell you and I can't show you my experience as a world designer if I'm a beginner how do I get people that want see what I can do to work with me?

Even if I have the best game idea and am the best designer in the world if I don't have a game made it doesn't seem that I could get any game made.

If I'm new to game development and...
If I'm a writer, I can show you a script.
If I'm an artist, I can show an image I've drawn.
If I'm a programmer, I can show you a program I have made.
If I am a Game Designer, I can't do anything because the one way I can doesn't exist.
Technically, if you are a game designer, you could show "your experience" by showing your critique to existing designs. You could flip open a dictionary, pick a random word and design a game on the spot. It would be like doing algebra.

Just as an aernonautic engineer doesn't need to build a kite to tell you that your kite won't fly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement