Sign in to follow this  

How to accomplish my goal? (small Client/Server based online game)

This topic is 3308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've written an addictive little pen and paper RPG, and over the years it is growing quite complex. In order for it to expand, the Dungeon Master must be replaced by a server, and allow simultaneously 60-100 players in a persistent world. The problem? I am not an expert programmer. I've coded Hello World, Tic Tac Toe, and Hangman on the computer. In order to continue growth of my game, I've visioned isometric 2d client, with a server that will handle the data/math/communication between players. I would like to know, what must I learn to accomplish this goal in a reasonable time? One man here, with very little knowledge of programming. Please, any feedback would be helpful.

Something I have considered and might work with you as I don't think your as insane as I am with the scale. (I want a world that the players can create all things and has a scale of 3ft per movement cell...with a planet the size of earth, which equates to impossible as far as this method is concerned)

What you can do is create a really basic tile set and use a HTML table scripted with PHP so that it interacts with MySQL via forms. That is really easy and for a table top RPG can be designed pretty much on a 1to1 basis.

Though the biggest problem i had with this is to decide how fast "turns" go by as if it is a persistent world of any sort you have to decide how long a person has to decide what they want and how much they can do and ut can be a little bit unfair.

Quote:
I've written an addictive little pen and paper RPG, and over the years it is growing quite complex.

Sounds good; congrats for that.
Quote:
In order for it to expand, the Dungeon Master must be replaced by a server, and allow simultaneously 60-100 players in a persistent world.

So, the dungeon master, under this formulation will be transformed from human orator to computer logic and AI? Or will you, or whomever the dm is, be orchestrating the world from behind the scenes via the server?

Both cases seem way past trivial and will require significant skill in order to implement. The former could potentially be very complex. Or it could be as simple as it will allow: pre-scripted dialogues given to the clients and just a processing of the game mechanics. The latter seems simpler since the shear amount of AI programming could be greatly reduced, but it may be difficult for one human dm to orchestrate the scenarios for 60-100 clients.

If you could formulate yr goal more specifically it would be easier for people to try to provide better advice.
Quote:
The problem? I am not an expert programmer. I've coded Hello World, Tic Tac Toe, and Hangman on the computer.

You will likely find achieving yr goal to be very difficult. More experience and practice is needed. I don't mean to rain on yr parade, but you will need to greatly improve yr skills in order to pull this off.
Quote:
In order to continue growth of my game, I've visioned isometric 2d client,

A good first step would be to build the 2D isometric framework for a single player -- without any networking, ai, or rpg mechanics. How long does this take you? This most likely will be the easiest part.

Break things apart into smaller pieces and accomplish them. Then eventually you could move onto
Quote:
a server that will handle the data/math/communication between players.

Quote:
I would like to know, what must I learn to accomplish this goal in a reasonable time? One man here, with very little knowledge of programming. Please, any feedback would be helpful.

You will need to chooses a language and method to implement what you would like. This could involve choosing an API or engine, etc. I would basically just try to make a simple 2d isometric navigation game for a first step... just make it so that the player can navigate the world [tangent: will yr rpg be turn-based or real-time?]. Once this is accomplished you can move onto more complex things.

The way I see it yr logical steps are:

1. create the 2d isometric 'engine'.
2. implement the game mechanics.
3. add any ai creatures/monsters/adversaries, etc.
4. formulate the method for one player to interact with the world: with creatures, terrain, mechanics, etc.
5. Then add the networking and multi-player dimension.

I am not going to lie to you and say this will be easy (all of the above steps are just headers for lots of work). I will not say anything about yr prospects for success or failure; just as you cannot say anything about mine on whatever projects I am working on. It simply is difficult to predict.

But, if you never quit you can never fail.

So in summary choose an easy language, break the jobs up into smaller pieces, and start coding and implementing! Also, perhaps you can acquire the help of some of yr players too. Good luck, read the FAQs, start with smaller goals and post if you need help (asking concise and specific questions).

By the way, I think that this could potentially turn out to be lots of fun, especially if yr game is as good as you say it is. The computer aspect is certainly capable of enhancing many aspects of the experience if done in way that does not constrict the fun.

Sign in to follow this