So...How do I begin on my journey to create an MMO?

Started by
31 comments, last by quasar3d 15 years, 3 months ago
I understand this is a beginner section, however MMORPG's / ORPG's / MMO's, ect... are not for beginner programmers. Once you've become an expert with general programming in your language of choice then I would pick an API and become an expert in that as well. Until then don't bother asking about making MMO's, it wont happen and cannot happen because you don't have the programming experience to do so.

You will need to program an entire Engine which deals with the basic game and you wont just be detecting events for your player but hundreds...

I really wish people would learn general programming first before asking about MMO's or even API games all together. Sadly too many people get caught up into their ideas of what they want to do without even having any foundation to make their ideas come into action.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Or wrote:
>What do I need to learn to make an MMO?

Assuming you mean to do the programming yourself, you should get a Computer Science degree, and make mods in your spare time.

>By the time I wish to create my game, game development may have advanced, and I might of been left behind.

Hogwash.

What he said.

There is nothing about game programming that is particularly special or unique. Games are just simulations of mathematical models. It's the design of that model which makes it a game and not, say, a military flight simulator or a financial forecasting application. The programming doesn't change all that much.

Programming is just translation. Take a Comp. Sci. degree. That'll teach you how to program.

Finally: Complex games are built by teams, not individuals. The cults of personality seen in the entertainment industries are a poor indicator of skill, talent or worth; they just tell you who has the best PR people. Even the greatest movie directors would be nothing without good editors, screenwriters, cinematographers and lighting technicians.

(Incidentally, I've seen behind the scenes of JAGEX and Runescape. They use some of the worst tools I've ever seen, and the engine is no great shakes either.)

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Quote:Original post by MrCpaw
I understand this is a beginner section, however MMORPG's / ORPG's / MMO's, ect... are not for beginner programmers. Once you've become an expert with general programming in your language of choice then I would pick an API and become an expert in that as well. Until then don't bother asking about making MMO's, it wont happen and cannot happen because you don't have the programming experience to do so.

You will need to program an entire Engine which deals with the basic game and you wont just be detecting events for your player but hundreds...

I really wish people would learn general programming first before asking about MMO's or even API games all together. Sadly too many people get caught up into their ideas of what they want to do without even having any foundation to make their ideas come into action.

I know that I'm not going to be able to jump into MMOs. I said - if not very properly - that I want to go to uni then work for a smaller company like Jagex, just working on the less MMO specific parts. THEN I may go for a bigger company like Blizzard or something. Though Blizzard might be too high for me. Then and only after many years in the industry, shall I decide to begin my own game. In my free-time before then, I may do up basic parts of the game, but I shall not begin to take it seriously until I feel that I have had enough experience. And even then I will not begin that until I have gathered a few friends who are willing to help start it up as well. I never said that I would be working alone. I already have one. Though... he doesn't seem to be demonstrating any programming skill. He's alright at HTML, though he doesn't rly do much with it. I suppose I could teach him a language. I hope he doesn't dislike it as much as he dislikes french.

I hope that clears things up. I just want to know what languages I should focus on to beign that journey.
Ignore my name, I WAS MISTAKEN.
HTML is not a programming language.

And you're making some assumptions here. A big one being that both JAGEX and Blizzard will let you in.

You should learn to program, and program well.
You should learn application structure, and be able to design in your sleep.
You should learn a graphics API (learn more than one, it'll be helpful), and learn everything you can about it. Tutorials hardly ever cover anything advanced. For that, you'll need to look at articles, books, and forums.

These are all things people have already mentioned.
Quote:Original post by Viral_Fury
HTML is not a programming language.

And you're making some assumptions here. A big one being that both JAGEX and Blizzard will let you in.

You should learn to program, and program well.
You should learn application structure, and be able to design in your sleep.
You should learn a graphics API (learn more than one, it'll be helpful), and learn everything you can about it. Tutorials hardly ever cover anything advanced. For that, you'll need to look at articles, books, and forums.

These are all things people have already mentioned.

First, I KNOW HTML is not a programming language.

Second, I said I want to work for someone LIKE Jagex or Blizzard. A games comapny in general.

Third, I know I need to learn all that.

Quote:Original post by Orechalcos
What? RealmCrafter is pathetic. But that might just be because i got the demo.
Well consider the fact that I play both sides of the fence when it comes to programming and game art. I hang out on two types of forums.

1) Programming forums where MMOs get you mocked.

2) Game art forums where people who don't know a thing about anything technical, especially programming, buy Realm Crafter or other solutions off the shelf and make working MMOs in a small amount of time.

The problem with MMOs isn't the game. Anyone who can pick up a 3D content tool and pump out some environments and characters can get a small game up and running with these off the shelf solutions.

The problem with MMOs is the 'Massive' part. It's a gigantic undertaking and takes a lot of time, money, and resources. However, MMO is becoming a generic term for any online persistent game world, and massive part may or may not be in your plans.

If you just want to get a few buddies together, you can get Realm Crafter, another RC-like product, or even some MUD source code, and go from there. Some light scripting and custom art can take you a long way, and you can run a small game for fun.
The originator of this thread seems to be ignorant to the information provided to him by everyone here. It appears as though you don't understand what needs to go behind an MMO. Not only that, but it will take a lot more than you and a couple of friends to do it. You contradicted yourself as well, in your first post you said you wanted an MMO running before you went into college, then later you said that you wanted to have one after years in the industry?

Another thing I noticed about you, you are too afraid. You can't be afraid of possibilities when going into programming. "Technology may be too advanced... Blizzard may be too high for me... Blahblah". Everything is possible, you just have to apply your mind to it.

Now, because I just said everything is possible, it would be contradicting for me to give you the statistics of how many MMOs are successful versus how many fail. The numbers are astounding, look into it. And another thing, do you know anything about programming? It seems like you are searching for a magical link that will provide you with knowledge to create the world's greatest MMO. Those don't exist.

For being in high school, you still have a lot to learn about how life works.
Jacob Foster
Software Engineering student at the Oregon Institute of Technology
He is too old to begin the training.

I sense much fear in him.

He's reckless!

My advice is to just be persistent and committed. Think long term. If you're 15 now just think how good of a game programmer you could be by the time you are 30 _if_ you stay focused and keep your eyes on the prize. You'll be able to write any type of game you want at that point and you'll know what you're doing and how to go about doing it.

Wanting to create a MMO as a long term project is fine. But if you are planning on using that lump of gray matter inside your skull, you'll plan your ascension to Evil Genius pragmatically. Conquer a small neighborhood before you conquer your city and before the state, the nation and the world! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Erm... yeah. forget about MMO for now. Write smaller games that will help you develop the skill and understandings you will need.
Quote:I'm young - still in my first few years of high school

Hi, Orechalcos. Please let me explain why you are getting some of the responses here.

FIRST: You said yourself: You're young. That's okay, we're not knocking that. But a lot changes when you get older, especially through highschool. Things you thought were cool when you were 15 won't be cool when you're 18. Then of course when you're 28, 18 seems totally lame. Then 38, 48, and so on. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, generally speaking, MMO games appeal to the somewhat younger audience (read: your age). By the time you're 30, the idea of creating your own MMO might seem rediculous. In fact, you might end up like most adults and consider the idea of even playing a MMORPG rediculous. ("Get a life," others would say.)

SECOND: We get about a thousand kids a week that show up here and ask basically the same thing. "Dudez! Howz do i make a MMORPG like [insert current fad]?" Most of these people think that making a game is just something you do in your free time between watching cartoons. We try to burst their bubbles as politely as possible.

Since you seem to understand that making a game of any size is difficult, but since you also don't seem to grasp the utter hugeness of something like this, i can only recommend what everyone else already has. Get the education and, moreso, the experience in programming. Plan on being a peon and working a deadend job for a few years. Plan on failure after failure. Plan on frustration, disallusion, distraction, and changes in taste. Then somehow, if you survive all that and STILL enjoy programming and game development, then we'll talk some more ;-)
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Quote:I'm young - still in my first few years of high school

Hi, Orechalcos. Please let me explain why you are getting some of the responses here.

FIRST: You said yourself: You're young. That's okay, we're not knocking that. But a lot changes when you get older, especially through highschool. Things you thought were cool when you were 15 won't be cool when you're 18. Then of course when you're 28, 18 seems totally lame. Then 38, 48, and so on. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, generally speaking, MMO games appeal to the somewhat younger audience (read: your age). By the time you're 30, the idea of creating your own MMO might seem rediculous. In fact, you might end up like most adults and consider the idea of even playing a MMORPG rediculous. ("Get a life," others would say.)

SECOND: We get about a thousand kids a week that show up here and ask basically the same thing. "Dudez! Howz do i make a MMORPG like [insert current fad]?" Most of these people think that making a game is just something you do in your free time between watching cartoons. We try to burst their bubbles as politely as possible.

Since you seem to understand that making a game of any size is difficult, but since you also don't seem to grasp the utter hugeness of something like this, i can only recommend what everyone else already has. Get the education and, moreso, the experience in programming. Plan on being a peon and working a deadend job for a few years. Plan on failure after failure. Plan on frustration, disallusion, distraction, and changes in taste. Then somehow, if you survive all that and STILL enjoy programming and game development, then we'll talk some more ;-)

Yes, I admit that I may decide that MMOs are boring or some other adjective later on in life, but I somewhat doubt it. I just love the idea of another world that you can access from your PC, in which you meet other people and do things just like real life, with the difference of the wonderful landscapes and the things you couldn't do in real life. Though perhaps my views will change in the future, I would be proud to maintain one of those worlds, along with a group of people.

As for those kids that you mention, alot of those kids think that making games is easy. There is a handful of kids out there who are serious about game development, and I am one of them. I know that it will take work to eventually come to the level of the MMO developer, and I'm willing to do that work. All I'm doing now is trying to get a head-start on that work. I am trying to further my education myself, seeing as school isn't helping...

All in all, I really couldn't care less what you think. I believe that if I believe, I can succeed in this industry. I'm going to start out small, like Andrew Gower. As I said, I've been inspired by Gower, and I think it's too late to go back on that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement