• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

really how powerfull is C++?

This topic is 3310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i know its that damn good but how far can it really go and will it be around for a very long time?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by bazso
i know its that damn good but how far can it really go and will it be around for a very long time?
It can do just about anything you want it to do; however, many things require more effort to implement in C++ than in other languages (one of the tradeoffs you must consider when choosing C++ over another language).

It will probably be around for quite awhile, due both to inertia and to its strengths. However, there is certainly a strong trend towards languages that are easier to use and that facilitate more rapid development cycles, and that trend is likely to continue.

If your question is really, "What language would be a good choice for me, given my particular goals and requirements," than I'd recommend searching the forums for (e.g.) 'language for beginners'; you'll find many threads on the topic.

well my heart is going with C++ i just wanted to know whats its full abilities all the way was

if coded the right way can it be very stable?

i could look at information but i like to hear peoples opinions about stuff i feel that's the best source of information that's why i am asking everyone here

Quote:
Original post by bazso
well my heart is going with C++ i just wanted to know whats its full abilities all the way was

if coded the right way can it be very stable?

i could look at information but i like to hear peoples opinions about stuff i feel that's the best source of information that's why i am asking everyone here

You can do anything you want in damned near any programming language worthy of the name. Successful commercial games have been programmed in everything from Z80 assembly language right through to Amiga BASIC. One of the world's most successful and long-lived MMORPGs, JAGEX's "Runescape", is written entirely in Java. (The actual missions are written in a custom scripting language, but this is still fed to their Java-based engine.)

C++ is just another programming language. It's not special. It's certainly not perfect -- no language (programming or otherwise) is perfect -- and, as I've just pointed out, it's certainly not the only one used in the industry.

There are no shortcuts. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever which language you choose to start with as you're not going to be hired as a pro without expertise in more than one. Analyse. Do some research. Try a few out, or just toss a coin. Just pick one and get coding.

That last point is the most important.

C++ is a good language, one of the best around in my opinion. It can do about anything you want it to do. But as said before, it takes more to implement these things.

While I do like C++ a lot, it is just too much of a pain to work with for most apps, although I build all my games in it. For instance, at work I made a fairly app in vb.net (that means developed to deployed) in roughly 14 hours. The same task would take me roughly twice as long and still have potential memory leaks in C++. I find the tradeoff for C++ too much for most non-intensive applications. Just my opinion though.

Quote:
Original post by bazso
...how far can C++ really go...

As far as the hardware can go, ultimately. In its third decade, C++ looks to be attempting to acquire some sophisticated language features that will divorce it some more from hardware, but at heart it will always remain a very high level assembly language.

Quote:
...and will it be around for a very long time?

Yes, but not in the way you think. Given the amount of existing code written in C++, even if nobody wrote another line of new C++ code there would still be a tremendous amount of legacy to maintain.

It's not a great choice for a beginner, but it won't hinder you from success. Pick a language - any language - and stick with it. That is, by far, the most important thing.

i would like to take the time and say thank you everyone for what it is you feel about stuff i always love to hear stories about what people think and feel i can never ever get enough information about something.

If you want the definitive answer to do you want to do C++, have a go at C++ and some easier languages like VB. Pick which one you like best. If you are a hobbiest, getting the task done is far more important than using the most efficient language. I use C++ for games because I like programming in low level languages (and being able to say that I did it in C++).

Quote:
Original post by Daniel B
C++ is a good language, one of the best around in my opinion. It can do about anything you want it to do. But as said before, it takes more to implement these things.

While I do like C++ a lot, it is just too much of a pain to work with for most apps, although I build all my games in it. For instance, at work I made a fairly app in vb.net (that means developed to deployed) in roughly 14 hours. The same task would take me roughly twice as long and still have potential memory leaks in C++. I find the tradeoff for C++ too much for most non-intensive applications. Just my opinion though.

An important note is that it being more difficult to do certain things is not really due to a weakness in the language, it's due to the weakness and "out-of-dateness" of its standard library *EDIT* some of which will be fixed with the next update.

C++ is a fine language that can do, as far as I'm concerned, anything but a bootloader(which can only be done in assembly), including lower level things that many languages would have a tough time with.

Quote:
Original post by godsenddeath
An important note is that it being more difficult to do certain things is not really due to a weakness in the language, it's due to the weakness and "out-of-dateness" of its standard library *EDIT* some of which will be fixed with the next update.

Enh.

While the library is very small, not a small part of C++'s problems are the direct result of design decisions. The complexity of parsing the language leads directly to poorer intellisense and similar tools. The decision to be backwards compatible with C has often lead to two ways of doing things, and code that isn't quite C and not quite C++; not to mention binding the language to its retarded compilation model.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi Pick a language - any language - and stick with it. That is, by far, the most important thing.

Oh really, any language?... Well then I think if you want an easy one I'd go with batch files or HTML, since clearly any language will do!

(Oluseyi don't ban me please! I was just joking [lol])

But really not any language will do for making games, your only real options are: C++, C# and for web based games java.

Quote:
Original post by CodaKiller
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi Pick a language - any language - and stick with it. That is, by far, the most important thing.

Oh really, any language?... Well then I think if you want an easy one I'd go with batch files or HTML, since clearly any language will do!

HTML is not a programming language. Idiot.

[smile]

Quote:
But really not any language will do for making games, your only real options are: C++, C# and for web based games java.

See, you had to fuck a nice moment up with some retarded bullshit. You can write games in Python, Ruby, Perl, Haskell, Brainfuck, Whitespace, Objective-C, Tcl, ActionScript, JavaScript...

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi Staff
Idiot.

:o

Anyway, what I wanted to add to this thread:

C++ is Turing-complete.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Don't leave out the smiley and change the meaning.

Hehe, that's what the media is great at. ;) Just messing with ya.

Quote:
Brainfuck is Turing-complete.
Whitespace is Turing-complete.
Turing-completeness is not impressive.

I know. But it's a direct answer to the OP's question in topic title. I never said it was the best answer.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Idiot.

I can't remember what thread I was reading earlier today but in it Oluseyi said f@ck like 5 times...

Quote:
I can't remember what thread I was reading earlier today but in it Oluseyi said f@ck like 5 times...

This is a free-flowing conversation that at times touches on mature subjects!

(rating++ to anybody who can pinpoint the reference)

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi

This is a free-flowing conversation that at times touches on mature subjects!

Bill Simmons podcast

C++, or a "dangerous" language like it will always have its place in the world. Even Java's JIT compiler is programmed in C++.

Quote:

(Oluseyi don't ban me please! I was just joking [lol])

Yeah... you're right, and IMHO I'd add ActionScript, specially AS3 :)

You can program games in pretty much any language. There are some which are very recommended, some that aren't. C++, C#, Python Java are all languages that have many resources available for game programming.. but honestly? There are OpenGL bindings for many languages. Many dedicated programmers have created graphics libraries for uncommon languages. But you don't even need graphics. Hell, you could code a game in LOLCODE. It would even earn you respect points.

BTW, java's compiler is programmed in C++... Okay... what did you expect it to be programmed in? Java?

Quote:
Original post by bazso
really how powerfull is C++?

It's over 9000!

[edit] I just noticed this isn't on the lounge, so I'm sorry I didn't provide a serious reply at first.
Anyway, I think everything's been said about C++.

I started with C++ and DirectX, I think I am a competent programmer right now, and it was really helpful in developing my programming skills.
Nowadays I program in C++, AS3 and PHP (professionally) and I must say that while C++ is still my preferred language, it certainly is possible to make games and other neat stuff in other languages such as AS3.

And yes, I think C++ will still be very much alive for a long time.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What is the C++ compiler programmed in?

CFront was coded in C++ (if you are indeed asking, can't really tell).

This topic is 3310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.