really how powerfull is C++?

Started by
59 comments, last by bazso 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by CodaKiller

Oh really, any language?... Well then I think if you want an easy one I'd go with batch files or HTML, since clearly any language will do!

(Oluseyi don't ban me please! I was just joking [lol])

But really not any language will do for making games, your only real options are: C++, C# and for web based games java.

Yeah... you're right, and IMHO I'd add ActionScript, specially AS3 :)
It's never too late to be a GameDever.
Advertisement
You can program games in pretty much any language. There are some which are very recommended, some that aren't. C++, C#, Python Java are all languages that have many resources available for game programming.. but honestly? There are OpenGL bindings for many languages. Many dedicated programmers have created graphics libraries for uncommon languages. But you don't even need graphics. Hell, you could code a game in LOLCODE. It would even earn you respect points.

BTW, java's compiler is programmed in C++... Okay... what did you expect it to be programmed in? Java?
Quote:Original post by Viral_Fury
BTW, java's compiler is programmed in C++... Okay... what did you expect it to be programmed in? Java?

What is the C++ compiler programmed in? What is PyPy? Bootstrapping.
Quote:Original post by bazso
really how powerfull is C++?

It's over 9000!

[edit] I just noticed this isn't on the lounge, so I'm sorry I didn't provide a serious reply at first.
Anyway, I think everything's been said about C++.

I started with C++ and DirectX, I think I am a competent programmer right now, and it was really helpful in developing my programming skills.
Nowadays I program in C++, AS3 and PHP (professionally) and I must say that while C++ is still my preferred language, it certainly is possible to make games and other neat stuff in other languages such as AS3.

And yes, I think C++ will still be very much alive for a long time.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
What is the C++ compiler programmed in?

CFront was coded in C++ (if you are indeed asking, can't really tell).
-- gekko
Quote:Original post by gekko
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
What is the C++ compiler programmed in?
CFront was coded in C++ (if you are indeed asking, can't really tell).
It was a rhetorical question [wink]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

A language on it's own is powerless,what matters is the programmer that uses it.
So instead of first going to the "most powerful" language there is, you should best try to make your self a better programmer,and that can be accomplished better with simpler languages than c++.Also power isn't everything what's more important is how appropriate a language is for you and what you want to do with it.
Yes, as everyone has said beforehand. No programming language is more powerful than another, because that would then result in the death of numerous languages. What you should do is look at languages, and decide which one is the best for what you wish to accomplish.
Jacob Foster
Software Engineering student at the Oregon Institute of Technology
thank you again everyone for your feelings to make a long story short i hope i can make it short let me put it that way when i fully was under way like 6 years ago about the pc and then online gameing up to this point.

i was just so amazed of what worlds i was entering and the cool things i was about to do to loose one self into another i don't know what to call it but i will use another reality meaning.

that was just past coolness and since from that point on my head and eyes are glued to my monitor every day of the week when i don't have any real life stuff to take care of i am online trying to do something and learning something.

i feel when it comes to online games and the pc its like your on a roller coaster of a life time and the ride does not stop and that is why i am drawn so hard to the pc and online gameing.

now why i am wanting to make a game its not just only for friends its not only just about for money but i feel i have got to the point in my pc life that i am ready to carry it to the next level.

to test my self to see if i am made out of something and if i am i hope that i will always have something to do and a since of purpose to do something with my life and to make others hopefully something that they can look forward to.

when they get off of work, come home from school, get done with home work, and to loose themselves into another reality i hope some of you feels that's reason enough to try to make a game.
You really need to use better grammar. It kills me to read your posts. In any case, make games because your passionate about gaming. Just keep in mind that making games is the most intensive application of programming of any language out there ;)
Jacob Foster
Software Engineering student at the Oregon Institute of Technology

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement