Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seze8

Newbie, needing help with C++,please

Hi, i just started programming, im 13 and i need help with C++. I can''t buy any books because my parents think I should wait until i''m in college to start my "job". I couldn''t find any tutorials online that helped me at all because i need help with C++ game(italicized)programming! Not just C++ programming. So if there''s a person with a pretty good understanding of C++ for game(italicized) programming that''s willing to help a total newbie, I would be very thankful. And remeber, at the same time your helping me, you''ll probably be relearning C++ all over again(I read that in an article, yup, im pretty desperate). Thanks, Sincerely, SEZ

This probably isn''t what you want to hear ... but it''s really a good idea to learn the language itself before you start on game programming. And besides, most of what you learn will be directly applicable to and/or required for programming games.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

Hi, thankls for replying so quickly. What I meant in my first post is could someone teach me C++ in relation to games, but still teaching me C++. For example:
You use this command like this. In a game you would use it like this. Thanks.
SEZ

Martee''s correct about learning the language first. Once you know it well enough you''ll be able to figure out how to do games with it. If you need help with a specific area, like graphics, physics, or sound, then it''s a lot easier to get specific. But there''s no way to teach "game making" .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Actually, I do have a question about graphics. I have this program that I got. It''s called 3D Game Studio and I can make a 3D model and world but I can''t get the feel of a game. I can''t make the people talk, or the player to actually interact with the environment. I heard some thing about rendering that might make it work but I have no idea as to what that would be. Please Reply. Thanks

SEZ

Whoa hold on there, if you want to make real games for money when your older as a career you should definately learn pure c++ and windows stuff in general before you even think about trying to learn game programming. Sure you can take 2 or 3 months and learn basic c++ then find some game turorials on the net but if you want to truly make complex state of the art games later on you will need to be a c++ guru and many many other things. There is a free compiler called djgpp or something close to that and many decent basic programming articles all over the net. I would suggest you find a way to get some money to buy a good book and compiler. Books are so much easier to learn from because you are paying for them so it is supposed to be complete, error free, and fairly easy to understand. Here''s a few topics you might want to learn first: c++ (of course), mfc (windows programming), lots of math and algorithm stuff and that will give you a decent foundation before you start learning game programming. Good luck.

Hello

Well, weerd thing .. if and when you learn C++, keep at it !
I used to be quite a good programmer, and ended up getting work and doing "other" things and have lost the touch with coding.

There are multitudes of sites that start you off coding from begin.

But I do understand your problem, that not many point towards beginning game programming, as most of them are done by people who have coded for ages.

A tip to get you going, download the free Borland C++ compiler, do the whole "hello world thing" ! .. once you begin accomplishing little steps like that, you''ll think of new things you''ll want to try out and you WILL want to make them work ..

Building on that, you can move into DirectX and pick up pieces on Assembler.
( A sideline question : is Borland TASM32 Free ? I''m stuck because I got MASM32, but am getting errors, so most of the time im trying to configure things (I''m trying to get into GFX mode in DOS in Windows through Assembler and it''s not working, if there are better paths to go about things ? please help me ?) )

Once you''ve gotten the hang of using the C++ commands and style of coding, you can start mixing them to create known games, be it ASCII gfx or GFX, remake them as you''ll pick up on patterns that are still used in Nowadays games .. eg Slot Machine, Tetris, Pong, Arkanoid.

3d Games take a lot of maths experience, something of which I kind of lack and was quite dissappointed that I did, but there are many sites you can look through that people explain the concepts and code, and use of the code towards a 3D game, starting from co-ordinates in space, how to create a virtual world, and how to put the co-ordinates in them.

Again there are gazillian online tutorials for that, probably for the more experienced still.

Hmm i''ve rambled ..

Point is .. start with accomplishing little steps :
1) hello world
1a) Common ( Loops, file access, small database (CD Collection info))
2) Slot machine, Tetris
3) hello world in Windows
3a) Common ( Loops, file access, small database (CD Collection info))
4) Slot machine for windows

If you''ve gotten that far, you''ve already written 2 GAMES !

Move on to Side Scrollers (eg. Megaman, Gradius)

I think once you''ve figured out Side Scrollers, you''ve built up enough coding experience to move onto bigger projects.

From there .. I''m stuck .. as I''ve deleted my C++ Dos Compiler which handled Assembler for my graphics and am trying to get TASM32 to add to the free compiler.

Er .. have I helped at all ? .. ( sorry had a glass of champagne .. have rambled )

Seze8, you have plenty of time to sit down and learn C++ before you start thinking about games programming. I know I''m repeating what''s already been said but I''m doing it so you know that it''s what anyone else would say. Your 13 years old for chrissakes! I didn''t start programming C++ till I was 16. You kids these days have all the luck to have sites like these at your age. Anyways convince your parents it''s educational (cause it is) and go out and get a C++ book. For your age, I''d say C++ for Dummies. Not cause your a dummy (I used it too) but cause it''s an easy read and teaches you all you need to know to get started, plus it''s only like 30 bucks. Take some time to get to know C++, it''ll make you a better programmer when it comes time to make the games.

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
==============================

Consider yourself a building Engineer. Would you consider placing a house in quicksand? Perhaps water, or even Mud? Most likely not, you''d realize that the moment you started building your foundation would be sinking. Although this may not apply to many other things in life, programming is considered "Software Engineering". And we engineers have one thing in common. We know that without a firm foundation your attempts to build anything will fail. Which is why you should learn C++ before moving onto games.

Writing a game uses just about every single peice of functionality C++ has. From file input/output, to Video output, to Artificial intelligence, and tools writing. There is no C++ for games, only C++.

As for books, goto the local library and request them. The library can get any book you want on loan from another library if it''s available in the US you can get it.

Hi,

I''m 13 too, and I''m a complete newbie too. I totally agree with you because I went a bought a book on Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days, and when I got it home, I skimmed through it, and I seen some stuff that I don''t think I will really need to know in order to do game programming. So I went and asked did I need to know this stuff in the General Programming forum, and everybody thinks I do. So I would suggest you go to www.informit.com, click Free Library and look for Sam''s Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days Second Edition. And after you read this book and have a good understanding, then you can go on to game programming.

And here''s what you can do to find a tutorial for Game Programming in C++ for beginners: go to www.google.com and type

1.Game Programming in C++ for beginners
2.Game Programming in C++
3.Game Programming for Beginners

try each one, and if one don''t work, try another. Now type the above in the search box, and you will find more sites than you can handle.

Because one day you might need to write text to screen, but you won''t know how to do this if you don''t start out small, and then expand. That''s what I''m doing and I''m already heading towards Structures, & Arrays.

But, if you don''t like C++ that much, then I would extremely suggest learning Delphi. Because you can make 2D & 3D Games, virtual machines, emulators, and etc... And it''s kinda easy to learn. And the best thing of all you can do with it is use DirectX or Opengl, isn''t that cool. So choose your destination, and start small then work your way up.

Yes informit is a great site. There is on problem. Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days is on its forth edition. Jesse Liberty wrote the third and forth. There nothing wrong. I mean its a computer book for free what else do you want. But the version is outdated. And yes do all the examples in the site or book. I first skimmed it over when I got it. And then when I tried to make a small text based RPG, I didn''t know how. So I went back in the book and read evrything slowly sand did all the examples. Now I am ver proficent in C++.

How theis helps.

Listen to these guy''s, hey know what they are saying. I was in the same boat as you a few years back. i first learned C++ then i had to steal my cousins Game programming book and it really helped. now i''m doin DirectX at 14.

X4J

You kids these days and your books. hehe
I learned my core knowlege of C++ out of the help files of the compiler my highshool used (one of microsofts dos compilers, i think) while i was supost to be learning pascal. I've alwasy been a fast learner.

One book i would suggest is "C++ in plain english"
This isn't so much a teaching book as a GREAT refrence book. I alwasy have it next to me when i program.

But i do agree, you need a FIRM grounding in C++ before you attempt any serious game.

Edited by - Ender3k on June 23, 2001 10:08:39 PM

Thanks to all. For all the negative people, thanks but no thanks. It really does help to have people your age in the same situation. Thanks to every one for those websites and the free book on programming.

Thanks to all. For all the negative people, thanks but no thanks. It really does help to have people your age in the same situation. Thanks to every one for those websites and the free book on programming.

SEZ

Hey, first of all I would say get your parents into it. I''m only 11 and I''m getting into game programming. I think that''s mainly because of my fast learning and my parents. They bought me some book s because it was ''for my education''. Second of all, if you do get a book, I just want to let you know that it may get really boring sometimes. For example, in C++ for Dummies, you get a bit tired of classes because it takes up about a quarter of the book. But once you do learn, it''s really rewarding to see a game that was made by YOU.

PS Youre friends also get a kick out of it too!

C++

PS If you resort to tutorials on the web, a site that might come in handy is http://www.howstuffworks.com It is a great site, and it has a tutorial on HTML, Java, and C. If you do go there, search for either HTML, Java, C, or Programming, and it should take you to the site.

C++

quote:
Original post by Ender3k
You kids these days and your books. hehe
I learned my core knowlege of C++ out of the help files of the compiler my highshool used (one of microsofts dos compilers, i think) while i was supost to be learning pascal. I''ve alwasy been a fast learner.

Heh, I learned through a help file also (Borland C++ 5.0''s help file). I learned C/C++ and the Win32 API that way, all the major stuff since then I have learned has been through real tutorials .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

quote:
Original post by seze8

SEZ

Did the negative people delete their posts? I don''t see them, anyway.. just people trying to give some advice.. programming is the key word in game programming, the fact that it''s a game is more or less irrelevant. Just because you think something may no be useful in game programming, don''t ignore it. Especially when you''re just starting to learn it and don''t really know what''s going to be useful and what isn''t.

=======================================
Matt Welch

"What sounds to you like a big bloat of trashy old noise
is in fact the brilliant music of a genius--myself" ~ Iggy Pop

HI there seze8.

i''m 16, pretty much same range of age. I think you should get you parents into this. Make them buy book for u, tell them it for your education. And they''ll buy it. if they don''t say this "Would you like me to be someone in life or to be a freak drugs dealer ?" That always works!!!!! After they got into it LEARN THE LANGUAGE !.

A building starts from the foor to the roof. Not from the roof to the foor. K ? One of the best books to learn are the "sams teach yourself c++ in 24 hours". After you have at least 2 or 3 sources , start by little project. Like a Tetris game, in witch involves everything a normal game has, Loops.

Another good resource is to be involved in forum. Like here ! you ask , and answer comes, you''ll also learn.

and the last and the best advice is "TRY TO BE THE BEST, BUT NEVER THINK YOU''RE".

That''s pretty much it !!!! I hope i helped you !!!

"The shortcut is not always the best way "

Metal Typhoon

Interesting. I am 16 and was once in the exact same position, except that I was only about 10 or 11. I also tried to dive right into game programming, but soon learned that is just wasn't possible. I could use those game studio programs and already made 3D engines and make very very weak programs that weren't games by a longshot.

I know the last thing you want to hear is that you need to put game programming on the back burner for awhile and really learn how to use C/C++/Visual Basic/Basic/Assembly before you go into programming. It wouldn't hurt to know a little of each language. Most of the concepts and structures apply to each of those languages. The way I went was to learn Visual Basic. I made little Windows programs, databases and things. Then moved further, into some graphics and simple animation. All the while still trying to make games. Finally one day, I went back to my book shelf and found one of my old game programming books and read through a little bit of it. The wierd thing was it was in C++ but I understood it. Like I said, learn one language, you'll get the rest with great ease. I suggest starting with Visual Basic, but the choice is up to you.

Yes, I finally got the skills down to program games. A reasonable goal for a first game like mine, is a Tetris game. Which was programmed in VB. Just be careful using the name Tetris, I think there is some kind of patent by the original creators of Tetris that prohibit the use of 'tris' in a name.

Don't worry if you don't understand a lot of the code that you see in games today. Your learning time is dependant on how well you know the workings of a computer and how deep your thought process is, programming requires very deep reasoning and deductive logic. I picked up on it quicker than a lot of people just because I've been around computers all my life. I was using a Commodore 128 at 2 years old :-P (long live the days of pong and (that submarine game, it slipped my mind. Silent something). Beat that Bill Gates. When you get done learning the languages, you'll have no problem reading them. If you do decide to take the path I took. Check out www.vbexplorer.com, or even if you don't decide to take that path. They have some very good information/concepts there.

But anyway... good luck. If you have any further questions shoot me an email (Daishi3058@hotmail.com).

By the way, if you do ever get your parents to come around on buying the books. I recommend the SAMS Teach Yourself books.

Edited by - Daishi on June 24, 2001 11:33:21 PM

do you mean Silent Service? Thats a Submarine game on the NES. (oh, and sorry to get off subject, i''m just an old-school game enthusiest. Even if I can''t spell.

-Greg, The lazy webmaster

Guest Anonymous Poster
To the dealy lama, the people i was talking about that were negative are the people that said I was too young to start. I think it''s not right to say someone can''t do something because of their age unless they''re 3 or 89 years old! Get my point? Once again, I''d like to thank every one. And I really do mean everyone, for contributing to this post.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Alright, seze, this is what you want to do. First, your parents are completely wrong. If you were to learn now, you would be way ahead of many people and would be in a very good position to go into a job later on. If you cannot convince them to let you buy a couple books, I think the best idea would be to rent them from a library. There''s no reason your parents won''t let you rent books is there? If you already know C, then just rent a book on C++ (may have to take it out a couple times). If you don''t know C, then you really have to learn that first. I am 14 now, but I started programming C at 12. That''s what I did. I bought a book on C, and when I was finished I read a book on C++. You should have reference book, but for the most part you should be okay with just renting one to learn.

And you absolutely cannot go into programming without learning of all C or C++. There''s no such thing as ''C++ Game Programming'', you''re still using normal C++ programming to do it. You must learn C++ programming (everything) if you hope to become a game programmer. After you learn C++, you will also need to learn (possibly) the Windows API (it would help) and definately DirectX/OpenGL (unless you want to write games in DOS).

And just try as hard as you can to convince your parents it''s the right thing. Let them read this post if they aren''t convinced! The longer you know the language, the more and more your knowledge can expand, and then when you go looking for a job, you won''t have any trouble finding one. And remember what I said before, if your parents won''t buy you one, rent one! Just go to the library and get a book or two. But the important thing to remember is, you cannot learn ''C++ game programming'', you learn ''C++ programming''. And before you learn C++, you should learn C. Trust me. After learning C++ you need to learn some APIs. I would really recommend buying (or renting if possible) "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus".