• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Moving a Sprite in a 2D Game

This topic is 3308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using Torque Game builder, and the script is pretty much a light version of C. So far nobody has been able to explain this in any of the forums I have posted it. I am using a Torque behavior (Prepackaged code than can be resued as needed for any object in a game) to move an object. It works great! but there are a couple of things I don't get: On the moveMap.bindObj( ) function, the moveup, move down, etc, etc are bound with keyboard keys. However, when I look at the actual functions that move the object (moveUp, moveDown, etc), the code passes a %val parameter that in the function body it gets assigned to %this.right, %this.left, etc: Code:

// this next field creation also effectively creates a variable with a string called upKey with a value of "Keyboard up"
	  	%template.addBehaviorField(upKey, "Key to bind to upward movement", keybind, "keyboard up");
  		%template.addBehaviorField(downKey, "Key to bind to downward movement", keybind, "keyboard down");
	  	%template.addBehaviorField(leftKey, "Key to bind to left movement", keybind, "keyboard left");
  		%template.addBehaviorField(rightKey, "Key to bind to right movement", keybind, "keyboard right");

%template.addBehaviorField(verticalSpeed, "Speed when moving vertically", float, 20.0);
  		%template.addBehaviorField(horizontalSpeed, "Speed when moving horizontally", float, 20.0);
  	}

function MovementBehavior::onBehaviorAdd(%this)
  	{
	  	if (!isObject(moveMap))
  		return;

// bind our keys to the keyboard. here you obtain the value of the previously saved string, and assign a funciton to them
  		moveMap.bindObj(getWord(%this.upKey, 0), getWord(%this.upKey, 1), "moveUp", %this); 
	  	moveMap.bindObj(getWord(%this.downKey, 0), getWord(%this.downKey, 1), "moveDown", %this);
  		moveMap.bindObj(getWord(%this.leftKey, 0), getWord(%this.leftKey, 1), "moveLeft", %this);
	  	moveMap.bindObj(getWord(%this.rightKey, 0), getWord(%this.rightKey, 1), "moveRight", %this);

// set the default values to 0
	  	%this.up = 0;
  		%this.down = 0;
	  	%this.left = 0;
	  	%this.right = 0;
  	}

function MovementBehavior::onBehaviorRemove(%this)
  	{
  		if (!isObject(moveMap))
  		return;
  		%this.owner.disableUpdateCallback();

// remove the keybinds
  		moveMap.unbindObj(getWord(%this.upKey, 0), getWord(%this.upKey, 1), %this);
		moveMap.unbindObj(getWord(%this.downKey, 0), getWord(%this.downKey, 1), %this);
		moveMap.unbindObj(getWord(%this.leftKey, 0), getWord(%this.leftKey, 1), %this);
  		moveMap.unbindObj(getWord(%this.rightKey, 0), getWord(%this.rightKey, 1), %this);

%this.up = 0;
  		%this.down = 0;
  		%this.left = 0;
  		%this.right = 0;
  	}

function MovementBehavior::updateMovement(%this)
  	{
		// make the player move
  		%this.owner.setLinearVelocityX((%this.right - %this.left) * %this.horizontalSpeed);
  		%this.owner.setLinearVelocityY((%this.down - %this.up) * %this.verticalSpeed);
  	}

function MovementBehavior::moveUp(%this, %val)
  	{
  		%this.up = %val;
  		%this.updateMovement();
  	}

function MovementBehavior::moveDown(%this, %val)
  	{
  		%this.down = %val;
  		%this.updateMovement();
  	}

function MovementBehavior::moveLeft(%this, %val)
  	{
  		%this.left = %val;
  		%this.updateMovement();
  	}

function MovementBehavior::moveRight(%this, %val)
  	{
  		%this.right = %val;
  		%this.updateMovement();
  	}
1st Question: Where did this %val come from? What does it do??? 2nd Question: Also, on the updateMovement function, the linear velocity assignment functions pass the speed parameter like this: (%this.right - %this.left) why is that? I know thanks to this the movement is made smooth, vs exclusively assigning the linear velocity the the object, but I don't get how they work. I would really appreciate any explanation. [Edited by - leogoldseed on December 28, 2008 3:15:52 AM]

Advertisement
Brian WIlson from Garage Games kindly provided some explanation for enyone interested:

1) the %val is a boolean of whether the key is pressed or not
2) that allows for one call to handle the movement regardless of direction. It's a cleaner way of handling movment rather than setting the velocity with each move function. Think about what those values mean with each possilbe keypress. Since TGB is vector-based scene placement, that bit of math determines if the object should be moving + or - on each axis.

------------------------------------------------
My reply:

If I am following this correctly, if the user presses the left key, then %val would passed as "true"and then the assignment:

%this.left = %val;

would basically set %this.left = true as well. Does this mean that since "true" is generally = 1 and "false" = 0

then:

1-0 = +1
0-1 = -1
1-1 = 0
0-0= 0

and that's how the function figures out if it shuold be left, right (positive negative)?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement