• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KodeNerd

GProf No Cpu Time?

This topic is 3586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I went to profile one of my programs today and even though the program takes over one of my CPU cores and maxes it gprof (version that comes with Code::Blocks 8.02) says that all of the functions took zero time. All that I can use my profile data for now is just how many times a function is called. I haven't messed with any of the settings and my project is set to profile. Does anyone know of an answer or could direct me to one?

Advertisement
A few considerations:

Profiling does add an overhead of its own.

They often only measure time in miliseconds, or some imprecision. You're functions may be too fast for this profiler, or even to fast to care about!

You might have it set up wrong, or compiled wrong, or something.

Profilers can't profile inlined functions; they don't know it's inlined.

If you want a greater precision for timing, and can do some inline assembly, I think you can get a much more accurate time from the CPU itself.

Hope this helps. Profiling can be tricky. Posting even more specific questions and code might be good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!