• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Anddos

how about a spider mporg

This topic is 3432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was thinking it would be so cool to have a online spider mporg , like attacking other spider webs bases etc like they do in real life , and you would grow etc if you eat more spiders or flys , i am not such a great programmer to make it happen but i thought i might pass the idea along to gamedev :D

Advertisement
So

Concept: Players take others' belongings to directly become stronger.

Problem: You are encouraging stronger players to target weaker players discouraging play.

Solution: Disallow those of higher bracket to fight with those of lower bracket.

Problem: Discourages play between higher and lower brackets

Solution: Groups?

the idea would be you start off as a tiny little spider and you have to catch flys in your web in order to grow, which would be scaling the spider server side so other players see diferent sizes of spiders, i know what you mean by larger spiders attacking smaller spiders but thats like survival in the real world , you could get a team of small spider to attack a much bigger spider in some way , i havent really thought it throught but i think it would make a nice experience to play as a spider trying to survive...

What is the benefits of groups?

If 8 lvl 1 can take down 1 lvl 8 what is the reward? The could more easily take out lvl 2s and thus get more power more quickly and once you hit lvl 3 you would start attacking lvl -1s to you for the quickest reward gain with the least risk. This still ultimately targets lower players.

Alternately solo players would be targeted and wouldn't be able to progress meaning a balance for that would be needed too.

Personally I prefer the idea of higher levels preying on lower levels than I do the isolation of different level players. Now, I might be a little biased because I've always hated the carebear approach to MMO's, and personally haven't seen a real PvP MMO game since Eve, and even that had quite a bit of pandering to the carebears in it. The idea of segregating by level, or the arbitrary need to prevent high level players from preying on low level characters is the essence of a carebear game, and your premise sounded far more hardcore than that. If anything, the game should encourage group play at lower levels, and slowly push for smaller and smaller groups until the player reaches the point that they themselves are the sort of high level arachnid that was hunting them to begin with.

That produces a dynamic feel - the game has changed, as has your place in the world. If you separate the high levels from the low levels, the only point of reference then becomes the people around you, and because they're likely to level at relatively the same pace, you will never make any progress that you can see and you will never get the sensation that you've come up in the world. A lot of MMO's make this mistake. Swinging ten times at 60 damage each to kill a 600hp monster isn't going to be more fun than swinging ten times at 6 damage to kill a 60hp monster. Just leveling is boring when you do things like that. Change the way the players play over time and make the game reliant upon skill (coordination at low levels, hunter/stalker tactics at high levels) and you'll have a game that people will enjoy and play for a long time.

Now, I'm not designing this so I'm not going to lay out a whole system of mechanisms that will facilitate this style of play, but you should seriously consider straying away from the ever prevalent grind-fest model of play. Perhaps spider venom takes a number of bites to cause an effect, and you can only bite so quickly. So you have to dart in, get a bite, and dart out before the big spider can get you. In that same instant, another team mate needs to dart in and land a bite, then another and another.

The big player, on the other hand, has to figure out a way to single out a weakling, and to disrupt the flow of the team. Make it uncondusive to group play, so as you make more and more levels you tend to break away (experience penalties? Mechanics like vibration giving small spiders a warning when too many large spiders move about?) from the pack and hunt alone.

That's much more interesting than "generic-korean-MMO-clone about spiders."

The only problem with that is that you turn off players by doing that.

Imagine if humans reincarnated and there were millions of inhabited planets out there it was your first time to earth and your born. You will your toes and all. Then someone comes by and cuts your head off. Are you going back earth if that is the only experience you keep getting over and over again? Most people wouldn't.

See the problem is that you are predicating survival on grouping at low levels which implies your not going to be scared of anything that comes your way and can communicate with these other players...and further convince them to group or that it is a good idea...and still on top of that you are betting that you will see another player you can group with before you are killed.

Every game where there is PvP allowed that I have ever played you have at least one max level player...waiting at the threshold and kills any new people that come out. The reason it isn't really a bother is because there are other exits and you can always sneak out from the safe zone when it kills someone else...in other words the survival of a new player and grouping is based on that safe zone being there so they can group and/or get help to not get messed with. If you take that safe zone away you are just asking for lower player numbers because the higher players will just sit on spawn points and kill you. And that is not fun in any way.

Players would only be turned off if the game didn't have sane restrictions. Naturally one shouldn't be able to, for instance, cast level 9999 "AoE spell of instant death" precisely where everyone comes in from the getgo, but there should be no profitable or desirable area wherein players can dwell without being at risk (I am a firm believer in risk vs reward - no risk, no reward).

Rather than creating "immutable laws of physics" that prevent players from doing what they want (ie, an invisible wall says your level is too high), a risk factor should come into play. The nearer you get to the absolute bottom zone, the more chance there is for those wasps to spot you and lay eggs in you (they ignore small spiders, seeking instead a larger host) - or something of the sort. Designed intelligently, that would make it unprofitable to harass the starting spawns, but not make it impossible.

Alongside such measures, a good game would teach the basics of team play without a lengthy tutorial (no "find six players to join up with, sit through pages of dialogue, and complete a generic six second task"). Perhaps an NPC "team" that simulates (not a "realistic" simulation, just some well timed attacks) the teamwork, and helps them learn the basic strategies and timings. Then players do the classic LFG>, and move on from there.

Likewise, players shouldn't be forced to group, just strongly encouraged. Don't make solo impossible (in fact, make it more rewarding, given that it's that much riskier), but make it very, very risky (those high level players being motivated and able to pick you off sounds about right).

In this way, you never dictate what the players can and can't do and you never create an impassible obstacle to a player's self driven objectives. You just make any objective you don't want them to be doing unprofitable, and the more you don't want them doing it, the more unprofitable you make it. Just never go overboard. It's one thing to make something unprofitable, it's something else entirely to sentence them to death row (many so called "pvp" games make pvp so unprofitable that it isn't a choice at all, as it's better to go stand in front of a high level mob and die).

Being able to put forward one's own objectives (I want to try this, I want to do that) is far better than getting the same cookie everyone else got for playing along like a good boy.

One option to keep more advanced players from targeting new players. Physical Size difference.

Yes, you start out as a new born spider, you're small, really small. The largest and most advanced players aren't likely to go after you because you're almost too small for them to easily attack you, they try to bite you and have a high chance of missing and eating dirt.

You can fit into tighter spots than larger players, your sole advantage is being able to hide and find protection, and your task is then to dart from hiding spot to hiding spot to gather food.

Maximum age could be used for a king of the hill style game. You have to try and grow as much as you can and reproduce (thus giving you a new avatar) before you die. You respawn by,... spawning. How strong your new avatar is depends on how strong you were when you laid your last clutch of eggs. If you die before you lay eggs again then you get to take over one of your other spawns. But if you've gone too long before laying more eggs all your offspring will have died, and you get to start all over again.

Have laying eggs a costly thing to do, you give up a large growth bonus to protect yourself. This sets up an interesting choice for players, you grow by gathering food, which is roughly constant, have a limited amount of time in which to gather food, and then must on spending it on being better or making safety nets. After all the player that does nothing but grow and gets killed at 99% of their lifespan before they lay eggs is then stuck with a weak spider and 1% lifespan to lay more eggs before they fail the game and restart.

You can fit into tighter spots than larger players, your sole advantage is being able to hide and find protection, and your task is then to dart from hiding spot to hiding spot to gather food.

i like this idea but i am sure the big spiders will be waiting outside the hiding spot , but your going to have a health bar and if your not eating/cathing flys in that gap then your alive bar is going to drop and you will slowly die in that spot. something needs to be thought of to stop higher level spiders attacking smaller ones otherwise the smaller new players will not get chance to evolve in to bigger ones.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!