• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Durakken

Specs/programs for a Game dev PC

This topic is 3614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I've been looking around and from that other thread down a way and past experience I think I've come up with this...Assuming one person is doing all the work or needs the tools to modify any of the work... HDD: More = Better CPU: 2+ GHz RAM: 2+ GB GFX: ???? SFX: ???? Software: Python PyGame Visual Studios - current eddition 3DS Max Maya Adobe Photoshop - current or most comfortable edition NeverWinter Nights WordPerfect Visio Digital Reference Materials: Baby names website Mythology website http://www.photo-reference-for-comic-artists.com/index.php C++ tutorials Physical Reference Materials: I haven't looked up the names yet but i assume there will be these types Animation reference book C++ book 3DS/Maya manuals There should be more than this right? With student discount on programs i can probably get all this for about a grand or 2...seems a bit low. Any suggestions to add to this? [Edited by - Durakken on December 27, 2008 11:49:33 PM]

Advertisement
You don't need a nice PC to do game development, at all. Code is text, you need a text-editor and a compiler, both free, an you have a game.

Don't invest money unless you NEED to.

NWN was suggested for help in designing so i placed it on there.

Visio yes that's it...

You may not "NEED" a PC for this but i want one specifically for this purpose so i am trying to put it together...why do you guys seem so resistant to this idea of having a workspace/work computer.

If you're wanting a solo developer office you'll need some more hardware, by which I mean accessories not computer specs. I'd highly recommend all of the following:

• printer
  • scanner
  • digital camera
  • backup media (external hard drive, USB sticks, CD-ROMs and burner)
  • Wacom tablet (Intuos3 6x8 is nice)
  • good quality microphone and peripherals (recording interface, cables, stand)
  • electronic keyboard and interface (you can get USB ones for music composition)
  • whiteboard
  • bookcases
  • nice large desk
  • decent office chair (you'll need this!)
  • ...and the space to keep all of these!

You'll need some audio and music composition software, as well as a website. I'd also recommend a ton more books in all areas: business, marketing, management, software engineering, programming, art, music, sound, design, general interest, etc.

I've been collecting these myself for my own one developer studio, and currently have enough to cover everything to some degree. It should only set you back a few thousand for all of these, depending on how many books you want [wink].

Great suggestions Trapper! I had totally left a lot of that out as what specifically I am looking for and how I plan to use it or a lot of that people have already on them like digicam almost everyone has one in their phone now...though not very good is sufficient for much.

Blender
Paint.net
Visual C# 2008
-box2d
-xna game studio 3.0
-ironpython
-tao.ode
-tao.opengl
-log4net
programmers notepad
Open office

Quote:
Original post by Durakken
So I've been looking around and from that other thread down a way and past experience I think I've come up with this...Assuming one person is doing all the work or needs the tools to modify any of the work...

HDD: More = Better
CPU: 2+ GHz
RAM: 2+ GB
GFX: ????
SFX: ????

Software:
Python
PyGame
Visual Studios - current eddition
3DS Max
Maya
Adobe Photoshop - current or most comfortable edition
NeverWinter Nights
WordPerfect
Visio

Digital Reference Materials:
Baby names website
Mythology website
http://www.photo-reference-for-comic-artists.com/index.php
C++ tutorials

Physical Reference Materials:
I haven't looked up the names yet but i assume there will be these types
Animation reference book
C++ book
3DS/Maya manuals

There should be more than this right? With student discount on programs i can probably get all this for about a grand or 2...seems a bit low. Any suggestions to add to this?

The express editions of Visual Studio are perfectly fine and are free.

3DS Max and Maya are both very expensive programs to purchase... It is quite an investment unless you have some serious art skills. You really should consider getting Blender or Milkshape to start out with as they are much cheaper (or free) investments.

Adobe Photoshop is good if you have the $$$ but The Gimp or Paint .NET are also perfectly fine for most uses. If you are art inclined then I would say go for one of the Adobe creative suites.

Neverwinter Nights? Eh ok.

WordPerfect is an odd choice. What is wrong with Word or Open Office (Ok so my experiences with OpenOffice aren't great on Mac but on Windows it is ok). Even so for programming I prefer Programmer's Notepad...

Visio? If you say so.

I think getting a nice office chair, a good keyboard, and a large monitor are more important then the specs of your machine. I also think you should use free software atleast until you gain more experience. Also you more than likely don't need 3d software right now as you should start with making 2d games first...

Good luck.

Various versions of Word have problems and WordPerfect just is better overall though it is an optional choice

Blender or Milkshape...never heard of but ok...i really don't need 3D stuff but they seem good to have.

I have an older ver of photoshop and i use it and for other projects which is why it's on there...

NWN is definitely off that list...

Visio is for writing and programming... extremely useful this would be if i had it at the moment.

Quote:
Original post by Durakken
Visio is for writing and programming... extremely useful this would be if i had it at the moment.

A good website for finding free software is www.oaslt.com, so as you stated you don't have a copy of Visio I found this one (www.oaslt.com/dia). It's not available for Mac, though :-(

Good luck! :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!