Being it's almost 2009, c# or c++ for casual game?

Started by
39 comments, last by zedz 15 years, 3 months ago
Consider that C# is a viable language only under Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems. The vast majority of computers in the world are not capable of running a Microsoft Windows desktop operating system. This is 2009, do you really want to target the casual gamer market of 2001?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bregma
Consider that C# is a viable language only under Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems. The vast majority of computers in the world are not capable of running a Microsoft Windows desktop operating system. This is 2009, do you really want to target the casual gamer market of 2001?

That's actually patently false. C# will run not only on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, but also on the Xbox360 and the Zune, mobile devices via the Compact Framework, Linux and Mac on Mono, and even the iPhone and the Wii via Mono as well. That seems to cover at least 90% of any system someone might want to play a game on, no?
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
The vast majority of computers in the world are not capable of running a Microsoft Windows desktop operating system.

You mean the 90% of desktops that do run Windows, as well as the 100% of desktops that can? Yeah, they're so not capable of doing what they already do.

Computers that can't run Windows aren't general-purpose computing platforms, buddy.

Are you referring to the mobile phone market? I'm a bit curious as it wasn't explicitly spelled out in your post.

Regardless, even for desktop computers if you're going indie casual it's worth being cross-platform - targeting both Mac OS X and Windows at the least. Most indie sales figures for the cross-platform games I've seen have at least half their sales for the Mac. It's one reason why I'm still wary about C#. I know about Mono, but everything I read about the language is extremely .NET based.
Quote:Original post by Trapper ZoidMost indie sales figures for the cross-platform games I've seen have at least half their sales for the Mac. It's one reason why I'm still wary about C#. I know about Mono, but everything I read about the language is extremely .NET based.

That is a strange statistic. Unless they were specifically marketing to a Mac user dense demographic it would seem to imply that Mac owners are far more likely to buy indie games than PC owners. Which I am not arguing or trying to explain, just a curiosity I am erm curious about. heh
Quote:Original post by Daerax
Quote:Original post by Trapper ZoidMost indie sales figures for the cross-platform games I've seen have at least half their sales for the Mac. It's one reason why I'm still wary about C#. I know about Mono, but everything I read about the language is extremely .NET based.

That is a strange statistic. Unless they were specifically marketing to a Mac user dense demographic it would seem to imply that Mac owners are far more likely to buy indie games than PC owners. Which I am not arguing or trying to explain, just a curiosity I am erm curious about. heh

Fewer 'mainstream' games run on Macs when you compare it to Windows. With that in mind, it isn't that surprising to me.

@Trapper
I use Ubuntu as my primary OS and MonoDevelop as my primary IDE. ;)
Almost everything you can do in MS's .NET you can do in Mono. Assuming you don't want to use the 'bleeding edge' MS version. (e.g. Mono is on C# 3.0 support atm instead of MS's C# 3.5)
Quote:Original post by Daerax

Yes, I've seen the exact same statistics numerous times. The reasons I've heard range from less competition to better exposure via Mac only sites, etc.

As for mono - again, playing with the big portals, this is not a viable option for a casual game. And again, this is mostly irrelevant if you can't finish a game worthy of selling or you will only be doing direct sales from your site or perhaps just with affiliates.

Thank you for all of your replies.

My concern is the "finishing the game" part. Being the only developer probably, I don't have the 3 hours to hunt down some weird memory leak. Doing it in C++ will allow cross compatibility and larger acceptance into the portals, but in C# I might actually finish the product and have at least one download. :)

I'm still in design stages of the game so no code needs to be written today.
Quote:Original post by azherdev
I'm still in design stages of the game so no code needs to be written today.

That's not the programmer spirit! You should be thinking more on the lines of, "I will have no social interaction and inject myself with 5000 cc of Mountain Dew daily until my game is finished."
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Hahaha

Well, I have cases of Red-bull, cases of 5 hour energy, 4 LCD screens (total of 6792x1200 pixels) all lined up. But even with all that, I have about 30 "started to program before fully designed" projects in my svn repository.

This time, I'm going to at least attempt to do it the "right" way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement