• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WhatEver

I need help with understanding Invert vs Transpose

This topic is 3450 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a little confused by the difference between inverting a matrix versus transposing a matrix. I invert my camera matrix to bring objects into camera space, and transpose my texture matrix to be used for my shadow maps. The two function that I have that invert and transpose matrices are similar, and that's what is confusing me. The xyz rotation axis are being transposed in both, but the forth column, and position, are treated differetly. I guess I understand why the invert function I have works, but I don't understand what the 4x4 transpose is doing with the 4th column and position data. Invert function: b[0]=a[0]; b[1]=a[4]; b[2]=a[8]; b[3]=0.0f; b[4]=a[1]; b[5]=a[5]; b[6]=a[9]; b[7]=0.0f; b[8]=a[2]; b[9]=a[6]; b[10]=a[10]; b[11]=0.0f; b[12]=-(a[12]*a[0])-(a[13]*a[1])-(a[14]*a[2]); b[13]=-(a[12]*a[4])-(a[13]*a[5])-(a[14]*a[6]); b[14]=-(a[12]*a[8])-(a[13]*a[9])-(a[14]*a[10]); b[15]=1.0f; Transpose function: temp[0]=m[0]; temp[1]=m[4]; temp[2]=m[8]; temp[3]=m[12]; temp[4]=m[1]; temp[5]=m[5]; temp[6]=m[9]; temp[7]=m[13]; temp[8]=m[2]; temp[9]=m[6]; temp[10]=m[10]; temp[11]=m[14]; temp[12]=m[3]; temp[13]=m[7]; temp[14]=m[11]; temp[15]=m[15]; -WhatEver

Advertisement
Transposing is a completely different function from inverting, it just happens to be that the transpose of an orthogonal matrix (ie. one that only contains rotations), is the same as the inverse. As soon as your matrix contains things like scaling and sheering/translation, the transpose will be different from the inverse.

What I assume is the case with your code, is that your invert function makes the assumption that your matrix only contains a rotation and a translation. So to calculate the inverse of that, it transposes the rotation part, and calculates the translation part by inverting the translation vec, and rotating it by the matrix' rotation part.

This isn't really a correct way of calculating the inverse, but it will work if your matrix contains only rotation and translation.

I guess so. I have never scaled my camera before...but I do remember having problems with lighting when my objects are scaled. My shaders perform lighting in object space, so I have to multiply the lights by the inverse of the object world matrix.

I pretty much get how the invert matrix works then, but what about the transpose matrix? I get it when it has to do with rotations, but other than that, I'm clueless. Here's the source code that creates my textureMat for shadowing (it's the same as the one in the OpenGL SuperBible but with my functions)

S3Dmat16f textureMat;

s3dMatIdentity16f(textureMat);
s3dMatTranslate16f(textureMat, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f);
s3dMatScale16f(textureMat, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f);
s3dMatMultiply16x16f(textureMat, projection, textureMat);
s3dMatMultiply16x16f(textureMat, modelView, textureMat);

s3dMatTranspose16f(textureMat);

glTexGenfv(GL_S, GL_EYE_PLANE, &textureMat[0]);
glTexGenfv(GL_T, GL_EYE_PLANE, &textureMat[4]);
glTexGenfv(GL_R, GL_EYE_PLANE, &textureMat[8]);
glTexGenfv(GL_Q, GL_EYE_PLANE, &textureMat[12]);

I understand that S, T, R, and Q are holding the results of the textureMat. But what exactly is going on? I was under the impression that the textureMat would need to be inverted not transposed so that S, T, R, and Q would be brought into texture space.

A quick side-note: if you scale your object non-uniformly (i.e. not the same scale factor for all axes) then you'll need to recalculate your normals for the lighting to be correct.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!