• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Edge Detection

This topic is 3334 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am working on directx's Progressive Mesh example and i am trying to add black edge lines on textured mesh. I guess i need to add cell shader to my project but the problem is i am not good at shaders. Do you have any example code or project that i can learn how to do this. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Yes i already looked at that example but in the postprocess example there are no textures on the mesh. I couldn't figure it out how to draw edge lines on the mesh texture. Here i'll show you what i mean: Screen Shot

From a few days i am trying to solve this problem and here is the result(it is not working)

My shader (according to post process example)

texture g_txScene;

sampler g_samScene =
sampler_state
{
Texture = <g_txScene>;
AddressU = Clamp;
AddressV = Clamp;
MinFilter = Point;
MagFilter = Linear;
MipFilter = Linear;
};

float2 PixelKernel[4] =
{
{ 0, 1},
{ 1, 0},
{ 0, -1},
{-1, 0}
};

float2 TexelKernel[4]
<
string ConvertPixelsToTexels = "PixelKernel";
>;

float4 PostProcess3PS( float2 Tex : TEXCOORD0 ) : COLOR0
{
float4 Orig = tex2D( g_samScene, Tex );

float4 Sum = 0;

for( int i = 0; i < 4; i++ )
Sum += saturate( 1 - dot( Orig.xyz, tex2D( g_samScene, Tex + TexelKernel ).xyz ) );

return Sum;
}

technique CelShading
{
pass p0
{
VertexShader = null;
PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 PostProcess3PS();
}
}

And here are the results: Render Screen

So as you see, i am far away from drawing edge lines on the texture or even detect edges correctly. Does anyone have any idea about what i need to do ? Thanks.

U will need more than one pass to do cell shading. First do the edge detection (a simple sobel filter will do the job) - like in the sdk sample. Then render the model again, this time textured. Finally blend the 2 images together and u should have edges around your textured model. If u use MRT's u can probably spare the separate edge pass and calculate the textured and edge model in a single pass.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement