• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Valerien

[resolved] Graphics optimisation - multiple objects and textures.

This topic is 3584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, Err... today i'd like to know... how I should make the textures of a musket depending on its structure. Let me explain : actually i've made a musket in 2000 tris approximately, and it's done in multiple objects. Err... I'm new in game graphics, and... should put it all in one object (i've added a render at the bottom of the message)? Actually, the cocking handle and the trigger and the... little thing to throw a bullet (i dunno how to say that in english) are separated of the whole weapon. Should i put all them in one object, and texture'em this way (we'll use only one material for this one) please ? Thanks in advance. http://images1.hiboox.com/images/5208/dd7c219af72545c00a53858701ac6dff.png Since this screen i've retriangulated every objects to don't have any artifacts and i've welded some faces. [Edited by - Valerien on December 29, 2008 6:07:37 AM]

Advertisement
I don't see what would hurt in just making the entire thing one object and then mapping it. You should have any errors with doing it that way. It was kind of hard to follow your post with all of the Err... ... .. .. . . . ... .. . .ER ... . .e.r.r stuff, but let me know if I answered your question :P

For a static render you can throw all the triangles
into one object and just use one material on it.
If its ever to be animated you should separate the desired
parts into separate meshes so they can be drawn individually.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!