• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Isometry with uneven terrain

This topic is 3344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy all, I've been playing around with some ideas on how to create isometric games with uneven ground. In my current version every tile has its corner heights defined, so I can easily create more interesting terrain compared to them typical flat ones. Example: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ahF-tM2HtPE/SVBel-aSrmI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Lp-OfzKhM1A/s1600-h/Kuvakaappaus_1.png Now I'm wondering, how am I to apply textures to tiles such as these? Or if it's possible at all (in plain 2D) and if I'll have to abandon this polygon-based terrain stuff completely. I'm new to the game development side of java, so please, be gentle with me ;)

Advertisement
Oh it's certainly possible to do, and I imagine it would be so in Java. I don't think it's a simple matter though.

I do remember seeing an article on it here on gamedev.

Found it here:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2026.asp

The article goes more over how you'd detirmie which tile the mouse is looking at than how to draw them (Though this is likely the more complicated issue anyway).

In theory, the drawing of an uneven map should be done almost identically to the drawing of one that is even, the difference being the tiles themselves and how you pick them, rather than how they're drawn.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks for the tip. One of the many good tut's around here worth taking a look at.

My original idea, though, was to try and see if I could use one single texture and map it to both even and uneven terrain tiles. Currently it just seems like something I can't pull off by using 2D methods only. I think I'll have to see what JOGL has to offer (as someone recommended).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement