Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best 3D Modeler program for the newbie artist

This topic is 6015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just curious as to which 3D Modeling software would be good and low in $$$ for a graphics novice like myself? I''m balancing between being a Programmer and a 3D Artist/Modeler! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Master Conjurer

Don''t blame but if it for education purpose, then you can have a warez copy from 3dstudio max, i have this program and is very good..

in the legal way, some old version from truespace is for free (2 or 3?) and is very easy to use, but in opposite is very limited.

quote:
Original post by eng3d
Don''t blame but if it for education purpose, then you can have a warez copy from 3dstudio max, i have this program and is very good..

Very good? I think modelling in 3DS MAX is plain HELL. It has a neat renderer, though. It makes smooth output.
But that modelling.. I don''t get it. Why everything is made so hard? Why can''t I select polygons and make it a new surface? Why can''t I move individual points when in NURBS mode? Why there is no lasso tool for selecting polys and why re-selecting doesn''t remove selected polys but ADDS them to already selected?

quote:
Original post by eng3d

Very good? I think modelling in 3DS MAX is plain HELL. It has a neat renderer, though. It makes smooth output.
But that modelling.. I don''t get it. Why everything is made so hard? Why can''t I select polygons and make it a new surface? Why can''t I move individual points when in NURBS mode? Why there is no lasso tool for selecting polys and why re-selecting doesn''t remove selected polys but ADDS them to already selected?

quote:
Original post by eng3d

I used to use TrueSpace 3 (free product) for a year and a half, and I reckon that it''s a great introduction to 3D modeling, can do some cool stuff and is very easy to use. For the past 5 months, on and off, I have been using my student version of 3DSM (Doing a graphic design course) and have found it to be in some ways easier to use than TS3, but only for some of it''s functions, overall it''s much tougher and so much more daunting because there are so many ways you can approach a problem in it, the trouble is choosing the best one...

--------------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates 1981

I just checked out Blender - thanks for the tip.

The problem is that I downloaded it, installed it, but then got this error when I tried to run it:

The BLENDER.EXE file is
linked to missing export OPENGL32.DLL:glBindTexture.

and

C:\Program Files\Blender\Blender.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Anyone know what this means?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Strata3D. Free, easier to learn than Blender, and has animation tools that are pretty easy to figure out.
www.strata.com