Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SeanHowe

Tutorial Suggestions

Okay, this is offically the place to suggest new tutorials for NeXe. Here to start off is what was suggested by Moe in the Welcome thread (Thanks Moe!): -billboarding -loading 3DS files -drawing 2D stuff via D3DXSprites -pointsprites (I could help write the tutorial on this one) -particles, and per particle blending -index buffers -dynamic vertex/index buffers -BSP trees -.map or .bsp file loading -collision detection - sphere-sphere and sphere-plane and ray-poly -lightmaps -various types of alpha blending Also, if you want to write a tutorial just e-mail me at NeXe@gdnmail.net, I''d love to have as many guest tutorials as possible. ------------------------------- NeXe: NeHe DirectX-style. Follow the orange rabbit.

I think there should be a tutorial that goes over all the math concepts necessary to write a simple 3D Game. Perhaps a series of articles discussing this. It could cover things like Vector operations, Matrix operations, Quaternion operations, Collision Detection, and Physics of games! I''m sure that lots of people know how to do this stuff... and I''m also sure that lots don''t! Thats my 8 cents

- Clash
- www.zeroinfinity.net
- A New World, Built By New Minds

Guest Anonymous Poster
Skinned meshes and loading keyframed animation!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Scene Management is a much under-documented aspect of 3D game / Engine programming. How to manage indoor and outdoor systems seamlessly using BSP trees and Quad trees respectivly.

I dare say a whole series of articles could be written on this subject (but they haven''t) covering :

BSP and PVS
Octtrees
Quadtrees
Portals
Scene Graphs

Yeah, scene management would be very, VERY nice. Perhaps someone could guest write those tutorials so Sean can continue doing the main line of tutorials.

-eco

There are a few tutorials that I would really like to see. One of them is how to incorperate paletted textures into a project - I've searched far and wide for something like this, but to no avail. I'd also like to see something on shaders.

The problem with all of the current documentation on shaders is that they ignore setup, and just show the shader (which even then isn't really all that helpful). Maybe a simple vertex/pixel shader pair that sets up and implements bump mapping or phong shading with a point light source?

Brian
Is there anybody out there?

Edited by - graphicsMan on July 2, 2001 3:06:17 PM

I think a tutorial on making a simple game like ''Pong'' or ''Pacman'' would be excelent for beginners to use.

=[CodieDAO]=

Yeah, I could see pixel and vertex shader tutorials being nice. I suppose I could also help out with the tutorials on billboarding and the D3DXSprites, since I have gotten both working. I suppose I could help write some of the tutorials if we really wanted.

Guest Anonymous Poster
As Moe segested one on BSP trees would be very welcome. I have seen sevral ppl threaten to do one but none has.

DogE.D

Yeah, a decent camera tutorial might as well be added to the list. It should probably cover both first and third person (or have 2 seperate tuts).

WHAT ABOUT A GOOD BACKGROUNDS IN DX8 TUTORIAL?????
Thats a big problem... big images with older videocards....

How to divide a big BMP image into 256X256 quadrants and use this divisions as Textures????

I have become a fan of nexe just recently. I would like to see some basic physic properties applied to an object, or maybe how to do collision detection with player vs. environment, more specifically maybe player vs .x file. how to make walls in a .x file or trees and definitely the ground in penetrable. Please keep in mind I am still new to this, so some of this may be repetitive as far as what needs to be taught. I have done all 6 tutorials in the SDK and am actively seeking more content. Beginning Direct 3d is ok, but sometimes it leaves me confused. Thanks for you time and your site.

Dave

There are three kinds of people in this world: Those who can count, and those who cant.

If you just want a background you can just load the full .bmp as a surface rather than a texture and blit it directly to the render surface. That''s what I do for title screens and what not.

-eco

I thought of a few others:
- using DirectShow to play mp3s
- object management (how to create/delete objects on the fly)
- loading a bitmap to make a terrain
- force feedback basics
- anti-aliasing, motion blurring, and fogging

I think I may write one on the bitmap terrain thing, though the terrain will be very simplistic . Also one on D3DXSPrite will be up as wel once I get around to working on it.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

AcidRain Productions

Edited by - KingsRevenge on November 4, 2001 8:28:27 AM

-DirectPlay for Dummies( a.k.a. people who don''t know jack about DX.)

-Creating isometric "stuff."

-Everything NeHe does in OpenGL, you should make a tutorial on in DirectX.

Good Luck.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche