Tutorial Suggestions

Started by
19 comments, last by SeanHowe 22 years, 5 months ago
Okay, this is offically the place to suggest new tutorials for NeXe. Here to start off is what was suggested by Moe in the Welcome thread (Thanks Moe!): -billboarding -loading 3DS files -drawing 2D stuff via D3DXSprites -pointsprites (I could help write the tutorial on this one) -particles, and per particle blending -index buffers -dynamic vertex/index buffers -BSP trees -.map or .bsp file loading -collision detection - sphere-sphere and sphere-plane and ray-poly -lightmaps -various types of alpha blending Also, if you want to write a tutorial just e-mail me at NeXe@gdnmail.net, I''d love to have as many guest tutorials as possible. ------------------------------- NeXe: NeHe DirectX-style. Follow the orange rabbit.
Advertisement
I think there should be a tutorial that goes over all the math concepts necessary to write a simple 3D Game. Perhaps a series of articles discussing this. It could cover things like Vector operations, Matrix operations, Quaternion operations, Collision Detection, and Physics of games! I''m sure that lots of people know how to do this stuff... and I''m also sure that lots don''t! Thats my 8 cents

- Clash
- www.zeroinfinity.net
- A New World, Built By New Minds
- Clash- www.zeroinfinity.net- A New World, Built By New Minds
Skinned meshes and loading keyframed animation!
Scene Management is a much under-documented aspect of 3D game / Engine programming. How to manage indoor and outdoor systems seamlessly using BSP trees and Quad trees respectivly.

I dare say a whole series of articles could be written on this subject (but they haven''t) covering :

BSP and PVS
Octtrees
Quadtrees
Portals
Scene Graphs

Yeah, scene management would be very, VERY nice. Perhaps someone could guest write those tutorials so Sean can continue doing the main line of tutorials.

-eco
"Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for an evening.Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life!"-Unknown
There are a few tutorials that I would really like to see. One of them is how to incorperate paletted textures into a project - I've searched far and wide for something like this, but to no avail. I'd also like to see something on shaders.

The problem with all of the current documentation on shaders is that they ignore setup, and just show the shader (which even then isn't really all that helpful). Maybe a simple vertex/pixel shader pair that sets up and implements bump mapping or phong shading with a point light source?

Brian
Is there anybody out there?

Edited by - graphicsMan on July 2, 2001 3:06:17 PM
Is there anybody out there?
I agree with the anonymous poster that skinned meshes should definitely be a tutorial.
PaladinGLT
I think a tutorial on making a simple game like ''Pong'' or ''Pacman'' would be excelent for beginners to use.

=[CodieDAO]=
"A man without something to die for is not worth living"
Yeah, I could see pixel and vertex shader tutorials being nice. I suppose I could also help out with the tutorials on billboarding and the D3DXSprites, since I have gotten both working. I suppose I could help write some of the tutorials if we really wanted.
As Moe segested one on BSP trees would be very welcome. I have seen sevral ppl threaten to do one but none has.

DogE.D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement