Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aldacron

OpenGL Demo

I've just posted an OpenGL-based iso demo to my site, if anyone would care to download it. It demonstrates tiling, buildings, and lighting-based fog of war. Control usage is in the README, but just to give you an idea: Q - rotate counter-clockwise A - rotate clockwise Z - zoom in X - zoom out spacebar - toggle buildings on/off L - toggle lighting on/off NUMPAD + - increase light cutoff radius NUMPAD - - decrease light cutoff radius ESC - exit It was created using my own Win32-based OpenGL framework, so it will not run on Linux. I also will not distribute the source until I redo it with GLUT in a few days, just to simplify things and make it less confusing to those who aren't familiar with the framework. It runs fullscreen in 16bit (rather sluggish in 32bit Windowed right now). Nothing fancy, but please let me know if you have any trouble with it. Get it here: http://www.aldacron.com/downloads/demo.html Edited by - Aldacron on June 21, 2001 10:56:47 PM

I replaced the original file with a windowed version. I was able to pick up some speed on my 32bpp desktop. It runs alright with my TNT2 model 64.

Also, I forgot to mention that you can scroll around with the arrow keys.

Hey,
I''m working on a tilemap engine in OpenGL. What you''ve made is pretty cool, it''s not really isometric though since its actually 3d, err 3d looking. Anyway, we''ll probably be running into the same problems etc so keep in contact with me. I can send you what I have so far of my level editor.

lower_case

CrappySoft - game production team with a punk attitude. Mail me if you want to make levels, art etc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nice demo. Not really "iso" (more 3D), and funny controls - fixed with respect to the world rather than to the camera, which can get confusing. Runs fine with my Rage128-based card, Athlon 700MHz.

You might want to speed up the movement.

Not bad. I think that the scrolling should be relative, not absolute. In other words, when you hit left, you should move left relative to your position not in the west direction. When you''ve rotated the camera, the scrolling feels all wrong. And although you probably won''t have this in any sort of game that you make, you should make the buildings disappearing/reappearing and the lighting disappearing/reappearing react only when the button is pressed. You have to press space or L really quickly to get it to stay on the changed state. In other words, the keyboard should be debounced.

Thanks guys. That was my very first attempt at doing anything with OpenGL other than drawing triangles. The controls are screwy, but that''s fine for this little demo. Toggling buildings and lights is just to see if it runs faster/slower. Remember, this is just a quick mock up to see if I can do it (note the app name - "Testbed 1 ), that it runs on other machines, and is not meant to be anything more.

I''m working on speeding it up, experimenting with different rendering methods, etc. Eventually, this will be a full blown engine. It looks 3D because it is 100%. The final engine will allow fixed overhead/iso views with the option to move the camera to any angle, if so desired. I posted it here because it is tile-based.

I''ve developed a tech design that will allow for grouping of individual tiles by texture for more intelligent rendering via vertex arrays/display lists and am working on a system that will perform frustum culling for large maps. The trick is finding the quickest way to put it all to the screen. I''m experimenting with all sorts of things.

The first app have lined up to put the final engine to use is a Map Editor. Once I decide on a solid approach and have a foundation in place I''ll get busy with it. I''ll try to put together another little demo before then (with better controls for everyone ).

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.