Pointer to a function in a class

Started by
4 comments, last by BradDaBug 22 years, 10 months ago
How do I create a pointer to a function in a class? when i try to assign the pointer function to the real function i get errors: error C2440: ''='' : cannot convert from ''int (__thiscall clsButton::*)(void)'' to ''int (__cdecl *)(void)'' heres the code for the class: class clsButton { public: RECT SrcRect; RECT DestRect; int Type; int (*clsButton::ButtFunc)(void); int NewGame(void); int SaveGame(void); int ExitGame(void); }; Heres the code i''m using to create the pointer: Button.ButtFunc = Button.NewGame; Button is an instance of clsButton, btw. any help?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
use a typedef
The member function needs to be static.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I think that you need to assign the pointer to function with
Button.ButtFunc = Button::NewGame(). Also should
int (*clsButton::ButtFunc)(void); perhaps
be int (clsButton::*ButtFunc)(void); I''m a little unfamiliar with pointers to member functions - there are usually nicer ways to do the same thing. (Pointers to functions is very C, where as virtual, overloaded & inherited functions are very C++)

However, this approach doesn''t seem vary clean to me. Perhaps you should have an int variable to store which function your button performs and use a switch statement to invoke the correct behaviour (ie a member function called pressButton that switches on the int variable and calls NewGame etc). If you''re not worried about the overhead of a virtual function, then have an abstract base class button & subclass it with 3 child buttons that perform NewGame etc tasks.

Any comments to brad_beveridge(NO SPAM)@hotmail.com

Cheers
Brad
Hey - you have the same name as me!!

Cheers
Brad
Member function pointers are declared:

returntype (Class::*MemberFunc)(params)

So, as Anonymous poster said, int (clsButton::*ButtFunc)(void) is correct.

When assigning to a function pointer:

typedef int (clsButton::*ButtFuncPtr)(void);ButtFuncPtr p = &clsButton::ButtFunc; 

You must use the address of operator (as far as I know). This is different than assigning to a straight C function.

Now you can either call the pointer like (object->*p). You need an instance of the object to call a pointer on it. So you need an instance of clsButton to use the member function pointer.

typedef int (clsButton::*pButtFunc)(void);pButtFunc pmfn = &clsButton::ButtFunc;void SomeFunction(clsButton* b){    (b->*pmfn)();} 

I find very little use for this technique but I know it is used by STL mem_fun(). This technique is pretty cool for calling routines by name (as listed on pg. 420 of The C++ Programming Language - Special Edition).

Null and Void,

you don''t have to point to a static member function. Static member functions don''t require the class-scope resolution (pg 420 of The C++ Programming Language - Special Edition):

class Task{    public:        // ...        static void schedule();};void (*p)() = &Task::schedule;        // okvoid (Task::*p)() = &Task::schedule;  // error 

Hope this helps,

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement