• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
livengood

Visual Studio Compiler?

This topic is 3447 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I recently got a new mac laptop and I have been doing a little bit of programming in Xcode and it has made my kinda of curious. Does Visual Studio... say 2008.. use its own compiler (ie: visual studio compiler?) or does it do something similar to Xcode and use GCC external (which i'm assuming xcode does). Mainly just curious is all I never really looked at different ide's / compilers aside from visual studio because at the time I didn't really have any reason too. Thanks!

Advertisement
Yeah Visual Studio comes with it's own compiler called cl.exe and you can run it form the command line like GCC by typing CL.

By typing CL? Oh joy!
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cl
'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>
I have a feeling there's a little more to it.

Anyway, yeah, they have their own, and it's not bad. g++ and VC++ are two of the best I know of, although I've heard Intel's can do certain optimizations the others can't. I actually find the thought of MS outsourcing something like a compiler for their IDE funny.

Oh, and kudos for noting that your compiler is gcc, not Xcode. Way too often, they melt together in peoples minds and I hear "What's a good compiler?" "Code Blocks". -_-;

You have to run the "visual studio command prompt" one of the icons under the start menu -> visual studio. It sets up all the environment variables the compile needs to find everything. THEN cl will work from the command line. Along with the commands to build a .vc_proj from the commandline (vcbuild?)

Quote:
Original post by KulSeran
You have to run the "visual studio command prompt" one of the icons under the start menu -> visual studio. It sets up all the environment variables the compile needs to find everything. THEN cl will work from the command line. Along with the commands to build a .vc_proj from the commandline (vcbuild?)

Yes if you don't have your path for Visual Studio set up correctly in Windows or have no clue what that is then that's the easiest way to get to it:)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!