• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CDProp

Double buffering dynamic vertex buffers?

This topic is 3544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya, I heard something one time about the possibility of double-buffering vertex buffers so that you don't cause a stall when locking it. Does anyone know how to do this? Or if it's done automatically for you for dynamic, write-only buffers? I wrote a particle system, and it hasn't really caused a frame rate drop or anything, but I figure this would be good information to have just in case I start using particles like they're going out of style.

Advertisement
Dynamic buffers do this magically behind the scenes for you. There is a limit of something like 8 "rename buffers", which is why it's suggested that if you're locking multiple times per frame it's best with a larger buffer and usually locking with NOOVERWRITE rather than DISCARD.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!