• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chibitotoro0_0

[SOLVED] FK Bone Deformation Calculations

This topic is 3552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I've been working on my FK deformation for my engine. I believe this is a very basic problem but my joint rotations seem to all rotate around the origin. I know with other affine tranformations that when doing rotations I have to move to the origin, rotate and move objects back to avoid this but I don't see how it is done for joints. I thank anyone for reading this post as I know it is long and contains alot of data sets. But I tried looking online for these calculations before in school and now and still have found very little literature describing the actual math behind it. Cube Data Source: here Basic data set for a cube: 8 vertices 1 -1 1 1 -1 1 -1 1 1 1 1 1 -1 1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 When I export the cube with 2 joints via collada I get the two following bind pose matrices: M Bind Joint 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 M Bind Joint 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 -1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 And in my collada .dae file I have the following nodes in my scene describing the transformation of the two joints. <node id="joint1" name="joint1" sid="bone0" type="JOINT"> <translate sid="translate">0 -1 0</translate> <rotate sid="jointOrientZ">0 0 1 0</rotate> <rotate sid="jointOrientY">0 1 0 0</rotate> <rotate sid="jointOrientX">1 0 0 0</rotate> - <node id="joint2" name="joint2" sid="bone1" type="JOINT"> <translate sid="translate">0 2 0</translate> <rotate sid="jointOrientZ">0 0 1 0</rotate> <rotate sid="jointOrientY">0 1 0 0</rotate> <rotate sid="jointOrientX">1 0 0 0</rotate> </node> From that I derived the counter matrices to the bind poses for the initial positions of the vertices: M Pose Matrix 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 -1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 (Initial position of root joint 1) M Pose Matrix 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 (joint 2's translate added to joint 1 since it's its parent node) When I multiply these two with the given bind matrices it produces two identity matrices: for the base case M Bind * M Pose = M identity This is what I want since when I first bind the mesh to the joints, I don't want to displace any of the vertices. Now when I perform rotations, I leave the M Bind Matrices alone and instead modify the M Pose Matrices. Changes to parent matrices are propagated to children joints as one would expect. Now my weights for my vertices are as follows: Ordering : (joint 1 weight) (joint 2 weight) 1 (leading 1 that collada always gives for some reason) 0.9 0.1 0.9 0.1 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.9 0.1 0.9 0.1 I calculate the new vertex positions as follows: vf=vf.add(vi.mul(r).mul(scale)); vf- new vertex position accumluated from joint weights vi- initial vertex position as read from file r- calculated rotatation matrix using M bind * M pose for a given joint scale- weight value for that given joint for(int j=0;j<vertex.size();j++){     Vector4 vi=vertex.elementAt(j);     Vector4 vf=new Vector4(0,0,0,1);     for(int k=0;k<weight.elementAt(j).weight.size();k++){         int boneIndex;         float scale;         boneIndex=weight.elementAt(j).weight.elementAt(k).index;         scale=weight.elementAt(j).weight.elementAt(k).scale;         Matrix4x4 pose=new Matrix4x4(joint.elementAt(boneIndex).pose);         Matrix4x4 bind=new Matrix4x4(joint.elementAt(boneIndex).bind);         Matrix4x4 r=pose.mul(bind);         vf=vf.add(vi.mul(r).mul(scale));         vf.p[3]=1;     }     vertex.set(j,vf); } With this algorithm my cube rotates around the origin rather than the joints. My screen shots:
[Edited by - chibitotoro0_0 on January 4, 2009 10:31:34 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!