How much is needed to get your foot in the door?

Started by
10 comments, last by RobTheBloke 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:> I've been teaching myself to program for the past 4 or so years, just as a hobby... I can ... get a degree ... but I'd rather not spend 4 years getting it while piling up debts if I can just get in on hard work alone.

You're probably going to spend a couple more years building up a portfolio of "enough" games and demos. And since you've been teaching yourself (as a hobby), there are bound to be gaps in your knowledge.

There are bound to be gaps in everyone's knowledge. I've seen some abysmal masters students and some amazing 'hobbyists'. University is not geared towards making someone an employable programmer in the games industry precisely. That requires personal motivation and a lot of personal projects beyond the scope of your school experience.

So it's important to understand that while you may attend university it is not the only path to competence... It is not even a guaranteed path to competence if some of the graduate students I know are any indication. It can be a valuable experience, but must be tempered with devotion to your craft beyond the requirements.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Zukarakox
I've been teaching myself to program for the past 4 or so years, just as a hobby, and I'm starting to look for a job as a game programmer. How much is needed to get a job without a degree?

I've met a few games programmers without degrees, and a much larger number with completely un-related degrees. But in all honesty, I think the days of hiring people without a degree are largely over. I interview and vet CV's here, but those have already gone through a filtering phase at the HR department to remove those with no experience, and/or no degree. Ten years ago when the industry was smaller, when companies didn't have dedicated HR departments, that demo may have landed on someones desk who may have taken a chance. These days? I'd imagine your CV would be binned the second it arrived at a company.

Is this enough?

No.

How much do I need? :(

About another 3 years worth of demo's judging by the candidates that I've interviewed recently. This industry is fairly competitive, and whilst personal motivation to work on your demo reel is by far the biggest factor in landing a job, getting someone to look at that demo reel without a degree is going to be next to impossible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement