Changing background color during runtime

Started by
16 comments, last by Toolmaker 15 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to change the background color during runtime with my DirectX program. From blue to black to blue to black and so on. I know how to change the color with this:
d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 40, 100), 1.0f, 0);
to black or whatever color I want and I've tried using that function and change colors under a certain condition but I can't get it to work. It stays the same color during runtime. Can anyone help me get this to work? thanks!
Advertisement
That should work fine. Are you sure you're Clear()ing every frame with the new colour? Any errors from the Debug Runtimes?
Nothing works
Saying nothing works won't help. At least give us some code...
// include the basic windows header files and the Direct3D header file#include <windows.h>#include <windowsx.h>#include <d3d9.h>// include the Direct3D Library file#pragma comment (lib, "d3d9.lib")// global declarationsLPDIRECT3D9 d3d;    // the pointer to our Direct3D interfaceLPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev;    // the pointer to the device class// function prototypesvoid initD3D(HWND hWnd);    // sets up and initializes Direct3Dvoid render_frame(void);    // renders a single framevoid cleanD3D(void);    // closes Direct3D and releases memory// the WindowProc function prototypeLRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);// the entry point for any Windows programint WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,                   HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,                   LPSTR lpCmdLine,                   int nCmdShow){    HWND hWnd;    WNDCLASSEX wc;    ZeroMemory(&wc, sizeof(WNDCLASSEX));    wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);    wc.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;    wc.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WindowProc;    wc.hInstance = hInstance;    wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);    wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)COLOR_WINDOW;    wc.lpszClassName = L"WindowClass";    RegisterClassEx(&wc);    hWnd = CreateWindowEx(NULL,                          L"WindowClass",                          L"Our First Direct3D Program",                          WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,                          300, 300,                          640, 480,                          NULL,                          NULL,                          hInstance,                          NULL);    ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow);    // set up and initialize Direct3D    initD3D(hWnd);    // enter the main loop:    MSG msg;    while(TRUE)    {        DWORD starting_point = GetTickCount();        if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE))        {            if (msg.message == WM_QUIT)                break;            TranslateMessage(&msg);            DispatchMessage(&msg);        }        render_frame();        while ((GetTickCount() - starting_point) < 25);    }    // clean up DirectX and COM    cleanD3D();    return msg.wParam;}// this is the main message handler for the programLRESULT CALLBACK WindowProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){    switch(message)    {        case WM_DESTROY:            {                PostQuitMessage(0);                return 0;            } break;    }    return DefWindowProc (hWnd, message, wParam, lParam);}// this function initializes and prepares Direct3D for usevoid initD3D(HWND hWnd){    d3d = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION);    // create the Direct3D interface    D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp;    // create a struct to hold various device information    ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp));    // clear out the struct for use    d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;    // program windowed, not fullscreen    d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;    // discard old frames    d3dpp.hDeviceWindow = hWnd;    // set the window to be used by Direct3D    // create a device class using this information and the info from the d3dpp stuct    d3d->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,                      D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,                      hWnd,                      D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,                      &d3dpp,                      &d3ddev);    return;}// this is the function used to render a single framevoid render_frame(void){    d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 40, 100), 1.0f, 0);    d3ddev->BeginScene();    // begins the 3D scene		// do 3D rendering here    d3ddev->EndScene();    // ends the 3D scene    d3ddev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);   // displays the created frame on the screen    return;}// this is the function that cleans up Direct3D and COMvoid cleanD3D(void){    d3ddev->Release();    // close and release the 3D device    d3d->Release();    // close and release Direct3D    return;}
Quote:Original post by Roberts91
// this is the function used to render a single framevoid render_frame(void){    d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 40, 100), 1.0f, 0);    d3ddev->BeginScene();    // begins the 3D scene		// do 3D rendering here    d3ddev->EndScene();    // ends the 3D scene    d3ddev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);   // displays the created frame on the screen    return;}

That'll clear the back buffer to a blue-ish colour, but you haven't shown us how you're planning to switch between colours. It looks like you've just cut'n'pasted the sample code from directxtutorial.com and are asking us to implement this new feature for you. Have you even tried to do it yourself?
Mandatory moan about DirectXTutorial.com
Well your too late to the party for me to show you what I had. I usually delete code that doesn't work because it doesnt "work". I made this thread in hoping you can show me what code I can add that will not work. Not for me to show you code that doesnt work.
Quote:Original post by Roberts91
Well your too late to the party for me to show you what I had. I usually delete code that doesn't work because it doesnt "work". I made this thread in hoping you can show me what code I can add that will not work. Not for me to show you code that doesnt work.
The code you've given us works just fine - it clears the backbuffer to a blue-ish colour. However that's not what you're trying to do, so the code you've shown us is irrelevant.

We need to see your current code; which doesn't work, not the last code you had that did work - It's much easier for someone to correct broken code than to write code for you. You haven't even said what you've tried to do, you just said it "doesn't work".

Ultimately, the code will look like:
if(some_condition_that_makes_clearing_blue)   d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 40, 100), 1.0f, 0);else   d3ddev->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(0, 0, 0), 1.0f, 0);
There you go and thats what I had. But what condition can we do to trigger that function?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement