• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy2

tile too big

This topic is 3548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a 2D game with 32X32 tiles for the background. The problem is a i have water tiles which are 64X48 and I have tried to scale down to 32X32 and just cut a portion out to 32X32. When I fill the screen with tiles of this kind they dont look good as they have a square border as you can see so the whole screen looks like it has slight grid lines. the background scrolls and it not always just water and I am confused as to what to do?

Advertisement
Can you post a screenshot to demonstrate the problem? A picture says a thousand words [smile]

Firstly, ensure that your original tiles are seamless to begin with. This means that when you tile them, you can not see these 'grid lines' between them. If they are NOT seamless, then they will never tile nicely. Try it out in an image editor.

Assuming the originals are seamless, 'cut a portion out' seems to me to be the biggest issue. If you are going to scale a seamless tile, you still have to use the whole tile.

That is as simple as opening your tile in an image editor (Photoshop in my example), going to the menu Image -> Image Size, and entering your new dimensions.

They will not look perfect, and will be stretched/squashed in one axis, this may or may not be acceptable. It's the best you can do unless you edit your current 32x32 tiles to be seamless (using Photoshop's 'Offset' and 'Clone' tools for example), or simply get new tiles.

Edit: Codeka is correct, a picture would greatly increase your chances of a helpful response.

[Edited by - Haptic on January 5, 2009 6:24:48 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Can you post a screenshot to demonstrate the problem? A picture says a thousand words [smile]

where can i upload a picture here ?

i have a photo here and seamless didnt work

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Game/Game_Graphics/Q_24025013.html#a23299822

Quote:
Original post by jagguy2
where can i upload a picture here ?

i have a photo here and seamless didnt work

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Game/Game_Graphics/Q_24025013.html#a23299822

Most people use photobucket or flickr or something like that if they don't have webspace of their own.

I don't have an experts-exchange account so I can't see the picture there...

My guess is the same as Haptic, though. You're probably not creating seemless tiles which is something you can fix with careful use of the rubberstamp tool in photoshop, but without a picture of what you're actually seeing, it's hard to guess.

look at water tile on

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/environmentE.html
grund iso- 15 down on far left

I did try seamless on my tile using gimp but it didnt work because the original is 48X64 with a pattern. You cant cut out 32X32 tile or scale it as it looks bad.

look at water tile on

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/environmentE.html
grund iso- 15 down on far left

I did try seamless on my tile using gimp but it didnt work because the original is 48X64 with a pattern. You cant cut out 32X32 tile or scale it as it looks bad.

this seems like a dumb problem, or a horrible question... If you van't conform to other people sizes, you'll just have to make your own graphics... to me it seems like your complaining the graphics you choose don't work with your proportions?

Whit not change your engine to use non-set proportions, that way your grid isn't forced to to confine to 32x32? allow offsets and different sized tiles.

Quote:
Original post by freeworld
this seems like a dumb problem, or a horrible question... If you van't conform to other people sizes, you'll just have to make your own graphics... to me it seems like your complaining the graphics you choose don't work with your proportions?

Whit not change your engine to use non-set proportions, that way your grid isn't forced to to confine to 32x32? allow offsets and different sized tiles.

Umm..what?

He is asking how to resize an image, so that when its resized it doesnt have that pixelated border around the edges, he isnt complaining...he is just wondering how...

He can't make an image resize and still look the same without some heavy work. It might be impossible in this case. Your best bet is to actually create your own or find a proportional size.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!