• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
paulcollister

Whats the faster way to the Video RAM on a PC

This topic is 3549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm new here so apologies if I'm asking a stupid question or am in the wrong forum. My task is to write an image onto the screen, 800*600 with RGB each 8bit at a blistering speed, the image is calculated using a semi-random algorythm applied to JPG images. I have written the program in C running under microsoft windows using opengl with the glDrawPixels() function but it is too slow. I need to write at about 30 frames/sec. The target system is restricted to a basic 1Ghz CPU using the intel 852GM graphics chip. The bottleneck seems to be in the opengl code. I don't actually need a graphics engine at all as the data I have is in a memory arrray of 800*600 in exactly the same format as the screen which is a fixed 800*600 LCD so if there was a simple way to just move the contents to the display, preferably using a dual buffer then this would suffice. I'm currently looking into DirectX to see if this is faster than openGL. Thanks in advance PaulC

Advertisement
There's no way to get direct access to the screen in Windows. The problem is probably due to rendering half a million individual points instead of rendering a textured quad.

You could use DirectDraw for this, but you'd probably be easier using D3D or OpenGL with a 800x600 texture applied to a screen-sized quad.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!