It is possible to change clockwise polygon direction in MAX?

Started by
3 comments, last by riruilo 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi friends! I have a problem, after exporting a model from max to opengl I realised some parts are "reversed" and I guess it is a problem about vertex direction, instead of using counter clockwise direction, it is using clockwise direction. I also tried flipping normals, but no solution. What is going on? How can I solve it? Without backface culling, which obviusly we don't see any problem. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us With back face culling, note that the others objects are fine. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Any idea? Thanks a lot
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Advertisement
If the scaling on the object's node (the thing max uses to put an object in a scene) is negative, you'll get this effect.

To correct it you either need to:

1) detect the negative scaling in your exporter code, and use this to change the winding order of your polygon faces (if you were exporting v1,v2,v3 you should export v2, v1, v3)

or

2) correct the scaling in Max using the Reset Transform tool, and then re-export.
Quote:Original post by digitec devil
If the scaling on the object's node (the thing max uses to put an object in a scene) is negative, you'll get this effect.

To correct it you either need to:

1) detect the negative scaling in your exporter code, and use this to change the winding order of your polygon faces (if you were exporting v1,v2,v3 you should export v2, v1, v3)

or

2) correct the scaling in Max using the Reset Transform tool, and then re-export.

Thanks, you are right, my opengl code has negative scale.

How can I use "Reset Transform tool" or where is it? I'm a programmer :)

Thanks.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
By default it's only in the tools tab. On the far right hand of the screen there should be a tab with a hammer icon (next to tab with a monitor icon). If you click this tab you should just see a bunch of buttons, one of which says "Reset XForm". Click this and you'll get a rollout with a "Reset Selected" button. Select the objects you want to reset the transform of, and then click "Reset Selected."
Quote:Original post by digitec devil
By default it's only in the tools tab. On the far right hand of the screen there should be a tab with a hammer icon (next to tab with a monitor icon). If you click this tab you should just see a bunch of buttons, one of which says "Reset XForm". Click this and you'll get a rollout with a "Reset Selected" button. Select the objects you want to reset the transform of, and then click "Reset Selected."

Perfect! Everything solved. Thanks a lot for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement