• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
b3rs3rk

Deinterlacing problems with Diablo 1 assets

This topic is 3545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! I'm working on a small hack'n'slash and because I have no graphic skills at all, I've managed to read the assets from Diablo 1 (obviously this project won't go commercial). I have a problem with one (and only one) of the animations, the warrior attacking with a bow...all its frames are interlaced and I really don't know how to do :( This is one "correct" frame from another animation: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us this is one of the damaged frames: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Any help is appreciated :) [Edited by - b3rs3rk on January 5, 2009 8:25:26 PM]

Advertisement
@kittycat768:
i used this one

@shadowisadog:
thank you, I already knew that site, but Diablo 1 has everything i need and i don't have to search anymore :)

Quote:
Original post by b3rs3rk
@kittycat768:
i used this one

@shadowisadog:
thank you, I already knew that site, but Diablo 1 has everything i need and i don't have to search anymore :)

Now that I've had a bit to think about it, I think I tried to look at Diablo graphic sprites myself N number of years ago when I actually toyed around with making Diablo 2 mods. I vaguely remember running into the same issue. The most reasonable conclusion that I can come up with is that either the program you are using can't read the images correctly or that Blizzard intentionally encoded them like that so people can't easily steal it's graphics. You don't have to reinvent the wheel but others have made wheels that are free to use. I recommend that you go with Shadowisadog's recommendation. Live long and prosper.

Quote:
Original post by i_luv_cplusplus
Remember, even if you don't go commercial, it doesn't make using copyrighted assets legal.

There is *nothing* illegal about using *any* assets for which you have a license.

You can't, however, give that license to anybody else, and anybody else who uses those assets without having a license for them *is* doing something illegal. Spreading them in a way that allows non-licensed people to acquire them is also highly suspect and I think illegal; the usual way is to bundle an extraction program which is completely legal to do. Try OpenTTD for an example.

I'd stop caring about the details. Just use the tileset that's best for you and stop worrying about those details.

For this image, it's mangled in the way that a BMP looks after having the X and Y size swapped. To fix it save the frames as BMP files, and swap the values at offsets 18 and 22 (both decimal). In your example they were 0x80 and 0x60, they should have been 0x60 and 0x80. Don't change anything else.

Fixed image:

[Edited by - dascandy on January 7, 2009 2:12:39 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!