Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coleco

Where have all of the good engines gone?

Well, I know this topic gets discussed a lot so here it goes again: I am having trouble deciding to go with a commercial engine (less than $500) or build my own. I want to do a game like Diablo 2 (who doesn''t?). But, I can''t seem to find a commercial-quality engine for those type games. There are 3D engines out the "yin-yang" but none of them seem to be tailored for what I need. I know of these engines: 1) CDX (Doesn''t seem to be developed/updated anymore) 2) FastGraph (Diana Gruber is awesome but I''m not convinced it does what I want. 3) Isometrix (Doesn''t seem to be robust enough...no offense anyone) 4) BlitzBasic (I used it on the Amiga and it rocks...but I want to stick with C++) I have no problems developing my own engine (I actually have a nice 2D engine but it is quite simple) but I would buy a commercial one if I thought it was what I needed. Any replies would be appreciated! -Coleco

~ c o l ec o ~

Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER! S i g n a l D E V .com --HASBRO SUCKS--

Guest Anonymous Poster
There seems to be alot of commercial 3D engines with source released (Quake, NOLF, etc..) but not many comercial isometric engines it seems. You could use PowerRender to give you a head start on making a 3D isometric engine, or one of the other 3D engines, however they might contain a GPL lisence so do your homework.

Truthfully, the technology is out there in bits and pieces to make a trully great isometric engine, and completely free of GPL. A scripting engine here, a graphics libary there, networking interface, etc.. add it all together and viola! 8^)

There is an isometric project which i''m impressed called BlackFish, http://home.t-online.de/home/BuschnicK/

Good Luck on your search

-ddn

Guest Anonymous Poster
Oh yeah here is a link to some isoengines

http://www.isometrix.org/engines.htm

-ddn