What is the best for the futur ?

Started by
13 comments, last by amethyste 15 years, 3 months ago
the platform is windows
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by amethyste
the platform is windows

If you don't need any functionality that's not in DirectX 9 (and you probably don't) use XNA Game Studio and the XNA Framework. This also allows you to get on the Xbox 360 if you would like.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

You could also use Mogre
Let he who will move the world first move himself--Socrates
Hi!
I think OpenGL is a graphics API only (please correct me if I'm wrong).
DirectX & XNA also offers support for devices as input (mouse, keyboard, joystick, gamepad, etc.) as well as sound, music, etc.

I think DirectX will persist, and if you learn it, u will probably also know XNA, as this last one is rather similar, and a bit simplifyied (some kind of wrapper around DX).

If u plan to port ur games to XBox, XNA offers u all the tools. Also, XNA encapsulates some lower level stuff that nowadays we normally don't need to deal with (as window creation, registration, initialization & this boring stuff).

I'm not sure about how long will XNA live, but anyway, as it's very similar to DX, whether u choose one or the other u won't be wasting time nor knowledges if one of them dissapears!

Hope this helps!
thanks Synthesizer because I agree with you, DX is a better choice to learn a new technologie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement