• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jo0ls

[SlimDX] Enumerating DirectSound devices

This topic is 3453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I try to get sound capture devices: DeviceCollection devs = DirectSoundCapture.GetDevices(); I get the error: "Object contains non-primitive or non-blittable data." That's a GCHandle error isn't it? I'm not doing anything else - just starting a new project, adding references and making that call. I get it with DirectSound.GetDevices too. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Advertisement
SlimDX,

Question, I recently downloaded your SDK and I see you recommend using C#. What was the main reason for not using C++ windows form?

And, I want to create the same interface as the DXUT with DirectX's components. Will I be able also with SlimDX?

Quote:

Question, I recently downloaded your SDK and I see you recommend using C#. What was the main reason for not using C++ windows form?

Using Windows Forms from "C++" really means you are using C++/CLI, which is the language SlimDX was written in. This is a very ugly language, suitable mostly for writing the interop libraries like SlimDX. For writing something that is not an interop library, C++/CLI is not a great choice.

However, if you are using it, there is no reason to use SlimDX as you can use native DirectX instead, and SlimDX does nothing but provide you an efficient interface to DirectX and other libraries from pure managed code (C++/CLI is not pure managed code).

SlimDX does not support the DXUT code and we do not currently have any plans to add such support, as far as I know. We have a sample framework that Mike works on, but I don't think it has the equivalent level of GUI support and I don't know what his plans for it are.

Thanks for the response and clearing that up for me!

I will be doing a complete 3D App with SlimDX converting my C# teaching project. I was going to do this using DirectX, but searching to do it in managed code. After doing a intensive search I found SlimDX to be the only active project!

Please don't give up like others! When my company grows to a financial empier I will pay you guy's to keep going!

And, I was very impressed when I saw Vision's , 3D Image Management System! I didn't think anyone but me had that idea!

Also, I my other project I will be developing a RPG in DirectX and PhysX. I would also like to do this in Manged code, but can't find a good project that will compliment SlimDX. Do you have any recommendation for this?

Quote:
Original post by Mike.PopoloskiYou can monitor that for updates on the situation.

Thanks. Will do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!