• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EternityZA

rotating a quarterion

This topic is 3626 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey. i know theres a lot of notes on this on google but honestly i dnt understand half of it. i just want to formula. for instance if i have a quarterion representing a direction in 3D space and i want to adjust that direction by 30 degrees around the Y axiz how wil i do it? thnx

Advertisement
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19980703/quaternions_01.htm

Sections of interest:
Table 1. Basic operations using quaternions.

Then also google "quaternion from axis angle". And remember that in programming always assume radians, not degrees.

Also important to note and only subtly mentioned in that article is that quaternion multiplication is order dependent. A * B does not equal B * A

-me

Sure. And just as an expectation setting I believe this took me about a week or so of constant effort to get working when I wrote my quaternion class ~5 years ago. It's kind of a big PITA to get a solid enough grasp of the math to implement things correctly if you are unfamiliar with it.

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!