DirectX tutorials?

Started by
13 comments, last by plebon 15 years, 3 months ago
Please, don't memorize code, its useless and takes up valuable mind memory. Just understand the concepts - you can always look back on documentation and what not to reconstruct your code.

[size=1]Visit my website, rawrrawr.com

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bobofjoe
Please, don't memorize code, its useless and takes up valuable mind memory. Just understand the concepts - you can always look back on documentation and what not to reconstruct your code.
I agree. Remembering the function signature for main() or WinMain() is fair enough, but you really don't need to remember the exact name and parameters for functions. Having a vague idea of the function name is fine, you can always Google the function name if you don't remember the exact name. For function parameters you have intellisense (After 12-15 years programming in C++, I only know the parameters for a few 10's of functions by heart) or the documentation - I always find myself Googling "MSDN" then the function name; e.g. "MSDN PeekMessage" to find the function in the documentation.
Quote:Original post by george135
Quote:Original post by Wizecoder
What is your main reason for using dx instead of something like sdl?

Are you serious ?!
SDL is not hardware accelerated.
SDL is not used on the market
SDL is for <=15 years old kids.
Just letting you know that
a) I rated you down for that, as well as for this similarly anti-SDL reply. I consider it unhelpful and misinformed because...
b)You're not actually even correct - while SDL isn't generally used in professionally produced commercial games it's pretty common amongst hobbyist and indie developers (yes, fully grown adult ones who earn money from their games!) and is perfectly usable in a money-making indie game. Note that two users in the other reply I linked said essentially the same thing.

If you personally consider SDL to be beneath you then that's fine (I prefer SFML as an alternative), but you shouldn't turn other people away from an option that might help them to succesfully complete a product just because of your own bias.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Was wondering if the book Advanced 2d Game Programming is a good buy? Since I got paid and other than getting a new mobo ill be getting that book. The only thing that linked me too it is that it teaches you DirectX 9 in making a 2D game engine and some 3D stuff as well, also in DirectX 9.

Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
I'd strongly recommend against that site - it teaches very bad habits, and doesn't teach a lot of very important things that'll cause your apps to just crash with no warning on a lot of hardware. The fact you have to pay for some of the (awful) tutorials there is just terrible.

There was a Recent Discussion about it over on the DirectX forum.

You have a point but there are two things I would like to point out.
- Whilst the basic tutorials don't go into important programming concepts such as error handling/catching they do simplify the directX concepts. I've been a programmer for quite a few years, so I was more interested in directX API functionality, not how to code c++ and best practices etc - I've already established these.
- That being said, there are tutorials in the premium section that do cover error handling/catching, checking the results of directx functions and other common directx issues. I actually like that these concpets were left out in earlier examples as it made them easier to digest.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement