• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ToohrVyk

Access restrictions

This topic is 3450 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been working on a Flash game in ActionScript 3 for a few days. I work in an Agile fashion, without up-front planning of what is going into the game. Still, as I write it, some architectural elements are falling into place. An interesting one is (theoretical) misuse of the access restrictions on class members, because a lot of my classes have public member variables. For instance, my "player" objects have a current position (where they are) and a target position (where they are going), both of which could be modified from the outside without any kind of restriction, so I just made both of them public member variables. Several other classes have properties that can be read from the outside. For instance, my game object has a player sub-object which obviously should not be modified by anyone else, but can be read by the display object in order to be rendered. I'm pretty much able to enforce a consistent practice (such as not allowing the View to change the Model) so I choose to make the player sub-object a public member variable. I could have written accessors, but I suppose that writing them would have taken longer than just making the variables public. Of course, correcting them later on might take longer, but I'm not really convinced that I will need to correct them. Can I hear your thoughts and opinions on this matter?

Advertisement
I pretty much gave up on writing accessors just for the sake of "encapsulating" my data, unless I really needed them. Most of the time I didn't need them though, since the accesors ended up being thin wrappers that called MyMember = value; or return MyMember;. And the 10% of the time that I did need an accessor, I much rather would have fixed up a variable reference right then and there using modern, high-tech tools like Find & Replace (with regex if I was feeling clever) instead of having wasted the time writing and referencing a useless accessor everywhere for that 10% of data.

Of course there are still some things that need accessors, like if I actually need to hide the data. I also like putting strict read-only data behind an accessor, as well as data that has a lot of side effects when it's set/get (duh). But other than that and a few other cases I happily use public member variables and enjoy getting work done faster :)

While I'm a big fan of doing the simplest thing that can possibly work, I find that it's so trivial to add accessors in the first place that I generally avoid starting with public member vars to avoid the big refactoring later. Is adding accessors really that much of a timer saver for you?

Alternatively, when I'm feeling really lazy I skip the accessors but make a point of adding them in as soon as I've got more than one external class referencing them, since then I've proved that I actually need the accessor and it's still pretty easy to do the refactoring.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!