• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
size_J

Andre Lamothe

This topic is 3545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Lamothe, still worth a read or is it to dated. The copy that I have from the local library is the out of print version form 1999. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by size_J
Is Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Lamothe, still worth a read or is it to dated. The copy that I have from the local library is the out of print version form 1999. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks
I learned a few bad habits form him.

That book is very outdated. It's about direct draw and Win32, things you wont really use this day in age. Get something more modern that uses DX9 or XNA. Or better yet, get a book about game programming in general, and then get a different book about your API of choice.

Even though that's the book that introduced me to the world of game development, I'd avoid it like the plague today.

The technologies it covers are outdated, the tools it uses are deprecated, and, quite frankly, it exhibits atrocious programming practices.

I'd give you a recommendation for a better, modern book that introduces game programming, but I honestly have not kept up with the game programming "literature" lately. I have an incomplete listing of game development libraries and technologies here, but not books.

Thanks for the info. What about Jonathan Harbour's books? I am reading Beginning Game Programming 2nd ed now.

I Suggest Frank Luna's Shader Approach book for DirectX, or Beginning openGL Game Programming by Dave Astle for opeGL both for 3D, and lazyfoo.net for 2D Programming

This may be slightly off topic, but if you're looking for intro C++ DirectX books, one of the ones I recently read was Lamothe's "Windows Programming for Dummies, 2nd Edition" (2002).

Even though it used DirectX 7 (DirectDraw), and newer versions use Direct3D, I thought the explanations in that books were very clear.

I was a fan of Andre back in the day, because really back then his books were like the only ones out there that taught any game development. I'm not up to date with literature today either but there's definitely better offerings out there that are well worth the purchase price. Remember you'll be referencing it, not reading it. And yea, I picked up some bad habits from LaMothe's books as well but as a beginner that's not really such a big deal, so long as you're able to learn and change to become better. One thing he does do well is breaking things down and making them understandable though.

Quote:
Original post by size_J
Thanks for the info. What about Jonathan Harbour's books? I am reading Beginning Game Programming 2nd ed now.

He uses the same quick and dirty practices(no error checking, prefers complex C code compared to simple C++,etc.) that Lamothe is getting attacked for so if you just want to get a game up and running with minimum fuss either will do.
If you can afford it or find a copy of the books godsenddeath recommended though I"d use those instead.
But yeah if you wanna cram everything about game programming from A to Z like Lamothe does and add error checking to the code it'd easily make the book like 2000 pages bigger than it already is so I can understand that.
If you are impatient to get a game up and running you'll like Lamothe's style since he just covers the very basics needed for game programming and moves on. Like he covers all of Petzold and Win32 programming in like 1 or 2 chapters and covers COM in another,etc.
and of course he covers the basics like gameloop, game states and how to draw on the screen that really never goes obsolete.

p.s. If you do use the Lamothe or Harbour books make sure use the exact same SDK used in book otherwise you'll spend 1/2 your time trying to figure out how to make the code work with the latest or newer DX SDK!
Oh and another thing I want to add is that both authors are pretty quick to respond to any personal emails you send them but they both sound pretty cocky so maybe that is one of the reasons they aren't popular in some corners? I mean I've pointed out problems with code in both their books and unlike most other author's saying thanks or explaining themselves they'd just tell me don't worry about it I already moved on to a new book and it's fixed there or something. I guess that's how they get like 20+ books published so just remember when you are putting out quantity like they are quality will suffer hence the quick and dirty programming that will get you into trouble with larger games and amounts of code!

[Edited by - daviangel on January 17, 2009 1:26:49 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!