Slipfeed - An indie game community

Started by
9 comments, last by michaee 15 years, 3 months ago
TL;DR version: Slipfeed ( http://slipfeed.com ) is a page for game creators to add information about their games during the development process and I want you to go there to help me make it better. Hello gamedev community, I have recently released a website that centers around providing news about indie games called Slipfeed ( http://slipfeed.com ). It centers around the idea that game creators make project pages for their games and upload images, write articles (developer diaries) and add videos, much like what you'd find on a game's website, but collected in one place to make it easier for people who are interested in games to find information about it. Think ModDB, but with "real" games. The site was released about a month ago and I've gotten the people from the LÖVE Club ( http://love2d.org ) to help me add some content, in case you're wondering why everything is centered around this one engine. I would like to make it a page that people can come to to get information about free and open-source games that provides a community as well as a user-friendly listing process. Not that I have anything against the myriad of lists that populate the internet, but most of them are centered aroud the games that the list's creator finds/likes and aren't very interesting for us that like watching the development process unfold. It's still in its beta stages, so any suggestions are welcome. As much as I would love it to be the next digg, it should rather reflect the views of the game development community. To ensure that I am not stepping on ANY toes, the page doesn't host files or differentiate between the projects (to any other degree than what the community finds interesting). This is not a new SourceForge, or a list showing the best games out there, this is a page for people to build interest around their project during development and for fans of indie games to find a central place to get news and updates. I hope this strikes your fancy and I'm open to all suggestions!
Advertisement
I really liked the design of your site, but one thing put me off. The massive telling off I got at the top of the page for using Internet Explorer. I would remove it because:

1) Your site looks fine with IE7.
2) It looks childish.

It is really the wrong way to get your point over. I use virtually every browser from time to time as part of my work, but I really don't need to be chastised needlessly for not using the fashionable one de jour.

It is more problematic because your site is quite attractive, and could become very popular, especially as the style complements the content, and could grow to be something indispensable in the modern world of social game development.

Quote:Original post by gregs
I really liked the design of your site, but one thing put me off. The massive telling off I got at the top of the page for using Internet Explorer. I would remove it because:

1) Your site looks fine with IE7.
2) It looks childish.

It is really the wrong way to get your point over. I use virtually every browser from time to time as part of my work, but I really don't need to be chastised needlessly for not using the fashionable one de jour.

It is more problematic because your site is quite attractive, and could become very popular, especially as the style complements the content, and could grow to be something indispensable in the modern world of social game development.

It may look like fine in your opinion...but it does look different.

And if you argue the issue with IE is not 'fashionable'...

IE really is a problem for quite a few people. So much so that certain websites have decided to 'break' their content for every other browser in order for it to work with IE.

While I can understand that decision (IE still has the majority marketshare), no one should be required to break their website (or create two completely different copies for one for IE and one for everyone else) in other browsers because MS can't create an engine capable of properly rendering HTML and &#106avascript.

You may not notice it doing whatever you do for work but that doesn't make it any less of an irritation for the rest of us.

That said...
I agree that anything that points out those facts on a website, that is not in a forum for discussion, tends to come up off as petty.

Oh - I agree completely, part of my job these days is web design, which does involve making things that look brilliant on Firefox, Safari and Opera look vaguely similar on IE (especially IE6, which tends to mangle CSS based sites quite happily - "Why are the pictures completely obscuring the text?"), but the *vast* majority of hits to the sites I look after come from people who use IE 6&7, so I see them as customers that I have to work a little harder for (a bit like supporting certain ancient integrated graphics chipsets in my renderer), not people to chastise.

Nonetheless, I may have come over a little too harshly in my other post, especially as I really like its graphic design. Maybe an unobtrusive "looks best in Firefox" icon somewhere would be a happy medium.
To be honest I added the warning to avoid having to make the CSS work in IE. There are a few items in there (like using tags to clear float) that IE doesn't like and I can't for the life of me seem to get it to work. However, for the sake of seriousness I will at least reword the warning to seem less "Boo Hoo, IE is dumb" and more "this is beta, work with me while I fix it for IE". My intention is to make it work for the IEs as well, but it's not really high on my list of priorities since the main demographic for the page are nerds and they tend to favor other browsers.
Quote:Original post by gregs
Oh - I agree completely, part of my job these days is web design, which does involve making things that look brilliant on Firefox, Safari and Opera look vaguely similar on IE (especially IE6, which tends to mangle CSS based sites quite happily - "Why are the pictures completely obscuring the text?"), but the *vast* majority of hits to the sites I look after come from people who use IE 6&7, so I see them as customers that I have to work a little harder for (a bit like supporting certain ancient integrated graphics chipsets in my renderer), not people to chastise.

Nonetheless, I may have come over a little too harshly in my other post, especially as I really like its graphic design. Maybe an unobtrusive "looks best in Firefox" icon somewhere would be a happy medium.

Ya, I tend to take offense when people bring up 'not IE' and 'fashionable'. ;)

I agree with the Icon part would work as a happy medium.
How bout a compromise and simply warn that with IE it may not look optimal and then create a page explaining why. I bet people who are presented information in a matter that does not make them feel stupid will respond better.
I really didn't know that this would be such an important problem. It wasn't meant as a "you use IE, you're dumb" message, but merely an excuse to avoid CSS hell. I WILL get it to work sometime, but for now I would like to focus on the main aspects of the page. I've changed the message to be less offensive, but let me know if it still hits a sensitive spot ;)

I have to ask this, although I'm afraid of the answer: Is this a page you would use? If not, I would like to know why. I hate being the guy who is all about "please go to my webpage", but I made it because I would find it VERY useful myself, but only if people were acutally using it.
Yes, I would use it. For all I've said, it does look like a useful resource.
I bookmarked it...but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement