Samples of great game design and innovation

Started by
16 comments, last by Tangireon 15 years, 3 months ago
Archon
Advertisement
Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar. It was a key turning point in RPGs, changing the approach of such games "from the hack and slash, dungeon crawl ... predecessors towards an ethically-nuanced, story-driven approach." It's been recreated in various mediums (the custom cross-platform engine xu4, using the NWN engine, etc), and the game (sans source code) has been released for free by EA/Origin.
300 Game Mechanics by Squidi
(actually he's only at 97 now)
Sumo. A swedish-only fighting game where player 1 holds down T&G and player 2 I&J. The first one who lets go of one or more keys looses the fight.
DooM - First Really Fast 3D Action Game, brought everyone's attention whether they love or hate it. Supercharged the FPS and Deathmatch. You could also count Quake for the some of the same reasons. Depending on your outlook. :D

Mechwarrior 2 - Really brought the Boardgame to PC immersion to a really good level. Great gameplay.

Duke Nukem 3D - Fast 3D Graphics, and a hell of a lot more interactive than Quake. Albeit only "2.5D". Plus a great WYSIWYG Editor.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Brought edginess to console games with slick graphics and fast speeds. Bringing us out of the slower Mario platform domination.

Final Fantasy VII/Pokemon - Brought RPGs to the mainstream gamers.

The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.
Starcraft - Most balanced RTS on the market.

Black and White - No interface for a god game. Also had an AI that was very in-depth.

Left 4 Dead - I know it's new but it shows the best co-op gameplay I've ever seen in an online FPS

Audiosurf - Uses your music to create the tracks and gameplay. Only bad thing about it is some color-blind people can't play.

Neverwinter Nights - Best D&D simulation I've found to date.

You should probably have examples of extremely bad game design at some point. ET for the Atari is the example that comes to mind right away.
------------George Gough
Deus Ex really brought RPG mechanics to the FPS genre with upgradeable weapons and abilities. It wasn't the first to do it and it wasn't the last, but it did it really well.

(Not really high on the list, but Planetside pretty much defined the MMOFPS genre finding the perfect speed of gameplay to make teamwork useful and advantageous. Often when other MMOFPS games are released or discussed they are compared to it.)
The Independent Gaming Source
[url="http://groupgame.50.forumer.com/index.php"][/url]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement