• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kilom

Can't use the varible two times?

This topic is 3453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just messing around, creating small things with C++, when I tried to do this
unsigned int formula = userVal*3.14/(userVal*666);
I'm guessing you're not allowed to do that? At least not in the way I wanted it to? No matter what number I enter, the result is the same, unless I change one of the other values in the "formula". And if I get rid of the second userVal, and replace it with a regular integer, everything works out fine. So yeah, not allowed (well considering it doesn't error out on compile...), or just not able to actually do it? Is there a way to get around this? I would Google it...but I honesty have no idea what I should search for. Thanks. For some reason I feel this may not be the most correct section for this...but oh well.

Advertisement
The problem with userVal*3.14/(userVal*666), is that it the same as (userVal/userVal)*(3.14/666), which is just 3.14/666. Unless userVal is 0, which means you'll cause a divide-by-zero and get NaN back.

Also 'formula' is only an unsigned int, so the floating point part of that expression will be discarded and you'll just get 0 every time.

Post the whole function.
Sorry, but that is completly valid, and will return an answer, so i assume there is something else missing from the equation.

The other posibility (considering the 3.14) is that you are experiencing a problem because userVal is an int. Due to how C++ promotes value types you may not get what you expected.

int*float / (int * int) >> int * int / (int * int)
float * int / (float * int) >> float * float / (float * float)

try making everything there a float, and see if you get better answers.

and userval / userval => 1. so that doesnt help.

Well here's the whole thing (was just messing around with the arithmetic operators),

void main()
{
cout << "Enter a number and I'll do a wacky formula to it!\n";
cout << ">";

float userVal;
cin >> userVal;
float formula = userVal*3.14/(userVal*666);

cout << formula;

system("pause");
}

I changed both types to float (like above), but yet same problem arises, just this time it's coming out to 0.00471471 instead of 0 (yeah because it's no longer discarding the floating point)

Is this something I should avoid doing?

EDIT: Sorry for not seeing your post, hh10k, but you're right. Just generally bad placement of an operator on my part. Well I did throw something randomly together for it. Thanks for the help anyways.

as hh10k pointed out n / n = 1. and 1 * m = m. so your formula just cancels out userVal, thus you don't see any effect.

change your formula to something more interesting

userVal * 3.14 + 1.0 / (userVal * 555)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!