• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
-Uchiha-

Help Needed!

This topic is 3454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi !! I am looking to develop a 3d game FPS or a RTS for my college project.I am new to game programming. Will i be able to create to create a demo within 3 months There are 3 of us and can afford around 7 to 8 hours a day. we know c++ programming.we r in final year of post graduation in soft development. Even 1 or 2 stages in game is enough I dont need eyecandy graphics and the main emphasis of our project is programming Can i build the game demo from a scratch including game engine ? r there free graphic models we can use for our game. If i use a game engine wat programming task do i have to do? If u can plz suggest where to start and a list of free tools we will need to develop Thnks in advance ^_^

Advertisement
Have any of you done 3d programming before? If not I'd suggest you actually try graphics programming before deciding to make a 3d game.

Also to what degree do you know C++? I know C++, but so does Bjarne Stroustrup, one of us knows it a lot better than the other. Are you all comfortable with classes, stl, pointers, namespaces, templates?

You're shooting over your head, did you choose this project yourself? If so, go back to your supervisor and downsize it.

How well do you actually know C++? Do you know any actual 3D graphics theory and implementation using it?

Quote:
Original post by -Uchiha-
Can i build the game demo from a scratch including game engine ? r there free graphic models we can use for our game. If i use a game engine wat programming
task do i have to do?

I'm sorry, but if you can't answer basic questions like that for yourself then I really, hand on heart, don't think you're capable of this project. I strongly suggest choosing another project if it's possible to.

we all are comfortable with classes, stl, pointers, namespaces, templates... and
good in programming

we have learned the BASICS of physics,computer graphics and windows programming..
Hmmm.. we also studied problem solving techn, algorithm design, AI , data structure, theory of commputation ( FSA and stuff) and math etc in our course..

Just new to game and graphics programming

"So should i go for the project can we study and finish the demo in 3 months ?
or should i drop the idea "
and go for some other project(have to finalize our project title in few days)..

We are very very interested and dont mind sitting for hours studyin and programming since we have to sit at home and do project for 3 months

[Edited by - -Uchiha- on January 8, 2009 10:19:29 AM]

I did a graduate level degree in game development, and we created 1 "complete" 3d game per term. Including sound, animation, AI.

We were 5 in the team.

For both, the appearance was not awesome, we had to deal with models and textures found online and we only designed a single level for each. But otherwise it looked pretty impressive (to us at least :) )

The first was a racing game built completely from scratch (only using directx, and other low-level stuff).

The second one was an action-adventure multiplayer networked game. Not exactly an FPS, but on the same technical level. The gamewas much more advanced, but we used Ogre, PhysX and FMOD to save time. (Though IMHO Ogre was more a PITA than anything).

So yeah, 3 month each. It's possible. And it's a lot of fun!

Quote:
Original post by -Uchiha-
Will i be able to create to create a demo within 3 months

Where's my crystal ball... I'm sure I had one...

Quote:

Will i be able to create to create a demo within 3 months There are 3 of us

Probably not. The addition of 3D adds quite a lot of complexity to almost all aspects of the game you'd need to write (graphics, collision, logic, pathfinding, asset marshalling, et cetera). Even reducing your scope to a 2D game improves your chances dramatically.

If you are allowed to leverage existing third party APIs for rendering and such, you will be further improving your chances (even more if you actually know the API).

Have you or anyone on this team made any simple 2D games before? If not, you probably need to scale everything back dramatically. Go for some kind of 2D Bomberman kind of clone or something. That involves simple 2D sprites, a tile-based world and collision logic, simple (if any) pathfinding and AI, and so on. It also has a lot of room for polish if it does turn out to be overall too easy for you (e.g., on the off chance you get it working and mostly bug-free before your deadline).

Depending on how much experience you and your team have in making simple 2D games and in working together on larger-than-homework-assignment projects, you may find yourself surprised at the amount of time you waste learning to work effectively, and three months -- while it seems nice and long now -- will suddenly become the most cramped three months of your life.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie

If you are allowed to leverage existing third party APIs for rendering and such, you will be further improving your chances (even more if you actually know the API).

ya they would allow us to use graphics engine and existing third party APIs

They just want us to do some programming

So what is the extent to which i can reduce the scope for a 3D game or a old Ages of empire like isometric projection RTS game
May be each of us can handle separate smaller tasks and use API for rest
If so what tasks do u recommend each of us can do...

or i should give up and go for some other proj..

[Edited by - -Uchiha- on January 8, 2009 11:23:06 AM]

You really already have your answer to that question. Everyone on here so far has told you that you need to dramatically scale down your project to have a chance of success.

I program 2d casual games for a living on a contract basis... I work in a small team of around 4-6 people at any time and we work for around 4-6 months on any one title. Keep in mind that this is WITH having a framework, experience, and we already know how to work together well.

You will not be able to create an FPS or an RTS game in 3 months with a 3 person team with no experience "from scratch" or from a rendering engine and anyone who tells you otherwise has never attempted it before. Sure you might be able to make a simple game mod in 3 months although even that can be harder then you think and without a 3d artist it really isn't worth trying.

You mention you only need a tech demo of like 2 levels or so, but even that will involve a fairly complete engine to pull off would it not? Unless you mean a small tech demo just illustrating several parts of an FPS game or an RTS game. However will your team be satisfied with working 3 months to have something where an internet model runs around a box or maybe a few tanks can be built and move to the mouse and shoot at a building?

With being new game programmers you WILL make mistakes, you will have to refactor, you will discover you have went down dead end paths, and you will find that the project takes much much much longer then you expect. Take what you expect to get done, and take around 10% of that and it is probably what you might be able to pull off.

If I were you guys, I would work on a simple 2d arcade game of some kind or maybe a side scrolling game. Even these games will be challenging to create and will take considerably more time then you might expect.

If you fail to listen to this advice... well I hope your professor doesn't mind having an unfinished and buggy piece of software turned in.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for all of your advices ^_^

ive decided to do some other application for my project and try to develop a game alongside in the spare time... I guess i wont know the difficulty until i try it..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!