• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EternityZA

trouble rotating Quaternion camera

This topic is 3454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey im trying to implement a first person view Quaternion camera in my engine. So far i got it to properly rotate around either the x axis(looking up and down) OR the y axis(looking left and right) but when i rotate around both axis it does not rotate as intended. for adjusting the cameras rotation around the Y axis i did the following this is a piece of java code using my own Classes but it shuld be self explanatory where Y is the amount of degrees i wish to rotate around the Y axis and quat is the Quaternion representing my Cameras Orientation EularAngle e = new EularAngle(0,Y,0); Quaternion adjust = e.toQuaternion(); quat = multiply(quat,adjust); This works perfectly fine. changing the value of Y causes the camera to look left or right now my problem comes in when i want to rotate around both the X and Y axis. ive tried to following EularAngle e1 = new EularAngle(X,0,0); EularAngle e2 = new EularAngle(0,Y,0); Quaternion q1 = e1.toQuaternion(); Quaternion q2 = e2.toQuaternion(); Quaternion q3 = multiply(q1,q2); quat = multiply(quat,q3); ive also tried EularAngle e = new EularAngle(X,Y,0); Quaternion adjust = e.toQuaternion(); quat = multiply(quat,adjust); both of these gives me a pretty weird end results. Il appreciate any suggestions o and i dont know if this is important but my render loop implements the camera as follow: //first AxisAngle a = quat.toAxisAngle(); GL11.glRotatef(a.angle, a.x, a.y, a.z); GL11.glTranslatef(position.x,position.y,position.z); //then draw all models i should add that im very new to Quaternions since up til now my engine only used Eular Angles Thnx in Advance!

Advertisement
I think a lot of people hit this very problem when they start using quaternions, I know I did :) The solution is that after each rotation, you need to use the newly rotated axis to build the next quaternion. Assuming you have a method to get a quaternion from axis/angle format, something like the following pseudocode should do what you expect:

yawQuat = QuaternionFromEulerAngles(0.0, yaw, 0.0)
convert yawQuat to matrix
pitchQuat = QuaternionFromAxisAngle("right" direction vector from matrix, pitch)
finalQuat = pitchQuat * yawQuat (or the other way around, depending on your convention)

thnx for the reply i understand ur explanation cept for the following

convert yawQuat to matrix - do u mean a 3v3 matrix or that ur converting it to a axis angle?
and
"right" direction vector from matrix

sorry i prob dnt realy understand the term matrix with regards to 3d programming since up til now ive used nothing but Eular Angles

EDIT:

ok i found the neccesary formula to convert my quaternion to a matrix. now i just need to know what u meant with ""right" direction vector from matrix"?

thnx

[Edited by - EternityZA on January 8, 2009 2:12:15 PM]

I'd probably read up on matrices as you'll find you need them more and more :) As a very quick and dirty explanation in the context of what I posted, your pitch rotation, which is X in your original post, acts around your object's X direction vector. You can get this vector by transforming the world or global X vector ([1, 0, 0]) by the matrix result from your yaw rotation. This will simplify into the first row or column (again depending on your matrix convention) of the matrix. I loosely termed this "right" in case that made it easier to understand, as looking at your post I expect that you treat the Y axis as "up" and Z as "forwards".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!