• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
paulergiker

[.net] C# ink vs pixel space

This topic is 3541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was just wondering whether there are any explanations why c# uses ink space rather than pixel space. I'm basically looking for a document or a book which explains the reasons and (dis)advantages of ink space and why the heck Microsoft uses it. Thanks a lot paul

Advertisement
C# doesn't use "ink space."

However, it's entirely possibly that some APIs consumable from C# use a device-independant coordinate system rather than one based on pixels. Scalability is generally the rationale. But a more detailed explaination would require you explaining which API in particular you are using. Since you seem to think the API is somehow part of the C# language, I suspect you mean the stuff in the System.Drawing namespace, which is (on .NET) a reflection of the (native) GDI+ APIs.

Hitting up Google for information on GDI+ coordinate systems will provide you plenty of background on that subject (much that background is pertinant to other APIs as well, at least in theory).

I assume he's talking about the stuff in the Microsoft.Ink namespace.

Quote:
The ink space is a virtual coordinate space to which the coordinates of the tablet context are mapped. This space is fixed to a HIMETRIC coordinate system. In ink space coordinates, a move from 0 to 1 equals 1 HIMETRIC unit. This mapping makes it easy to relate multiple Ink objects.

Yep, that's right I meant the Microsoft.Ink namespace stuff.

Sorry for causing the confusion.

paul

[Edited by - paulergiker on January 9, 2009 5:52:10 PM]

Maybe i should explain the background of my question. I have to compare tools (written in c++, java or c#) which take ink input. In contrast to the C++ and Java tools which capture ink in "pixel space" the C# tools use ink space. I now have to write down a comparison (as part of my masters) of both spaces. Eventually I have to decide which one is more appropriate for a tool. So I would need as much arguments either pro or con ink space for my discussion.

So I would very much appreciate any source which tells me a little bit more than that what the msdn microsoft ink web page is telling.

Thanks a lot in advance

paul

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!