• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pisacaballo

Need books and info turbo c++

This topic is 3622 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to create a game for MS-DOS using the old turbo c++ and there are some books that are out of print that I would like to get ( specially one that is about game development by James W. H. McCord ). Also there some interesting books of Herbert Schilt regarding graphics in TURBO C++ I found in my school but they are no longer available. Perhaps you are wondering why I want to program using Turbo C++ belive it or not I like the IDE but much more important is that using Turbo C++ under MS-DOS I can access the mere hardware without any restrinctions and understand step by step what I am really doing. I was told by a teacher that learning graphics in that way will ease my work and studies in the future, what do you think about it? perhaps is too much deprecated and useless, however turbo c++ was a very famous ide and a lot of programmers recommend it.

Advertisement
I think this is a terrible idea.

The ability to dick about in low-level memory, directly talking to the hardware... it's not that useful a skill to know in general, if you're going to be developing on a PC and you want people to be able to actually run your stuff. And if you're going to be developing on a console or other limited platform, playing around with the stuff on a PC won't give you that much knowledge because it's most different hardware.

Furthermore, you can use modern IDEs and APIs to learn exactly the same things about graphics programming. Both OpenGL and D3D give you a way to essentially plot pixels into a buffer, and render that -- hell, even GDI gives you that -- which is as low-level as you need to be. Attempting to operate on any level lower than that will not provide you knowledge that is useful to understanding how more modern graphics programming is accomplished, because it isn't the same thing at that level.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!