Favourite game music / recommended listening

Started by
13 comments, last by facher83 15 years, 2 months ago
Hello. I saw in another post that Nathan recommended a new member to listen to The Chase - Steamboy, to demonstrate his point. I think it would be a good idea if people could post their favorite game music or any pieces they just recommend listening to? I know personally I would love to have a list of good music I can wack on my ipod to study.
Advertisement
Wow so many to choose from! :)

For classical-goth type music definitely check out:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

There are others in the series as well, but these two have some great tracks.

For scary, moody, horror rock:

Silent Hill 1-4 OST

Some tracks are more sound design than music, but you can't beat some of Akira's dark rock tracks!

For orchestral-techno mixes:

Ratchet and Clank 1-4

This series has some of the best music around, but the only problem is it hasn't been released so you have to play the games to enjoy the music. (At least legally that is.)

For epic orchestral tracks:

God of War has some pretty intense music!

Dragon Quest 1-8 has some really nice orchestral tracks as well. Less epic and more beautiful but still very good music to analyze.

That's what comes to mind right now. I'm sure there are plenty more as well.

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I have a sort of odd taste in music, but I really enjoyed the soundtrack of Heroes of Might and Magic 4, even though I would frequently be listening to it for over 8 hours straight (Ah the good old days of weekly marathon gaming sessions).
From recent games, I'd say Lair and Bioshock are two scores that got a lot of attention. Knights of the Old Republic has a great score. Just a few that come to mind real quick.

And I agree with Madsen on Ratchet & Clank. Good stuff there.
Hey cheers.

If anybody could think of more rock influenced game music, like those songs in Silent Hill, that would be great :D

I'm a big fan of Jeremy Soule's working on Morrowind; Oblivion was good too.

Lately I've also been getting into MoozE's work on STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and STALKER Clear Sky - great atmospheric dark ambient work.

Garry Schyman's work on BioShock was good as well, but I found that it was best in context with the game - most of the music was played during cutscenes and pivotal moments.

Inon Zur is also a very good composer. "Sometimes You Lose" from Crysis is without a doubt my favorite track of his. "Megaton" from Fallout 3 is also good.

Stuart Chatwood did a great job with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - the Middle Eastern/rock fusion was excellent.

Some of my favorite game music is from the Half-Life series - Half-Life 2 Episode 2 boasts some great adrenaline pumping rock/electronic songs as well as some electronic textural stuff. Great effort by Kelly Bailey.

Quake 3 OST
Really agressive industrial rock by Sascha Dikiciyan (Sonic Mayhem)

Unreal Tournament 2004/ UT3 OST
Agressive industrial Electro/Atmospheric, by Jesper Kyd and Rom Di Prisco

Mass effect
Electro/orchestral space theme music.. i'd say it's pretty unique

Shadow of the Colossus
by Kõh Ohtani is a really really great orchestral score, many very good songs

All the Fallout soundtracks
First two were made by Mark Morgan, the 3rd one was made by Inon Zur. Very good ambience, and the 3rd game has pretty good combat music aswell

Drammatica - The Very Best of Yoko Shimomura
performed by Andrea Hopkins, real orchestration sessions from famous 8/16bit type games and also some more modern games

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross/Wild Arms
Very atmospheric RPG music, very much recommended
There's a site dedicated to appreciating game music you probably never heard due to obscurity.

Also, if anyone can get their hands on Mario & Zelda Big Band Live, it's an incredibly interesting take on koji Condo's songs in Mario, Zelda, and Yoshi.

Speaking of Japanese influence, Motoi Sakuraba is my favorite composer for games. He did Star Ocean, my favorite SNES RPG, Valkyrie Profile, some of the Tales serries, and Golden Sun.

Recently, the soundtrack to "Henry Hatsworth" was released for free. It's quite good, which surprises me since it's a DS game and the production values aren't what I'd assume a DS could do. I wish this kind of thing happened more often. I feel that when you buy a game, you own a copy of that game and that means owning the parts, too. That means owning a copy of the art assets and soundtrack. I get a little miffed when asked to pay more money to buy the sound track when I can just listen to the songs in the game.
Most of my favorites are already posted above, but here's a few more:

- To this day one of the most ground-breaking (and sadly one of the least-imitated) soundtracks of any game was that o Myst. It build it's own sound, and is still one of the only games that dares to go with a more minimalist, rather than melodic or thematic, school. Rarely imitated, never duplicated. Well worth the $$, if you are considering buying the album. Ever time some one complains about how game music doesn't do anything original, talented, or fresh, this album proves otherwise.

- He's already been mentioned, but Jeremy Soule's work in Guild Wars was excellent. Very, very high quality stuff - and a theme that stands out as one of the best.

- I will be cursed forever if I don't mention Chronotrigger, even though it's already shown up. It's just that good.
"Who's John Galt?"
This internet radio site has game music. If you look through the playlist, it includes user ratings on songs:
http://www.rainwave.cc/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement