An unusual problem

Started by
3 comments, last by RawBeen 15 years, 3 months ago
I see a lot of threads proclaiming "I've got a great idea and I want to make it into a game but I don't really know any languages or programming principles". I have the opposite problem - I'm quite a proficient programmer, but whenever I get an original idea, it falls down after I give it any real thought. So yeah, my problem is that I can't actually think of any good game ideas to start work on. Where do you find inspiration? I think one of the problems is that games these days are very sophisticated - if I wanted to use an idea from, say, Oblivion, I wouldn't stand a hope in hell of actually implementing it alone. I've thought of advertising my services as a programmer to someone with a game idea, then promptly dismissed that thought - I want to do this alone, with my own vision. I also think that communicating ideas online is very hard to do, and none of my "real life" friends are interested.
Advertisement
Sometimes I have the same problem, though I am not a professional programmer just an student who aspire to be a game programmer in a country where game programming does not exist. However I usually get inspiration reading books, wathcing films and playing games with my friends but my best source of inspirtation is watching normal people talking about games and how good would it be if that game would exist, and imagine if ...

I hope this info helped you.

PS: Never try to do something if you think is rubbish from the begining ( you must probabbly know this better than me ) and sorry if my English is not good enough but I could not give my cambridge exam last year XD.
Maybe you need to reign in your ideas more, and look at simple, fun games. The indie market is ablaze with small projects that you could be inspired by. Look at things like world of goo, castle crushers, braid...a fair swipe of XBLA content can serve as inspiration.
M zero, you wrote:

>whenever I get an original idea, it falls down after I give it any real thought.
>I can't actually think of any good game ideas to start work on. ...games these days are very sophisticated - if I wanted to use an idea from, say, Oblivion, I wouldn't stand a hope in hell of actually implementing it alone.
>I've thought of advertising my services as a programmer to someone with a game idea, then promptly dismissed that thought - I want to do this alone, with my own vision. I also think that communicating ideas online is very hard to do

The problem is within you. So the solution has to take place within you. You have to adjust your attitudes.

You have to examine your goals, determine if they're realistic, and adjust accordingly. Part of you seems to understand that whatever you attempt to do needs to be actually within reach to accomplish. But another part of you sees anything reachable as unworthy of consideration. This internal war has to be won by one side or the other.

What is your goal, you should ask yourself. Is it to create an unlikely hit game? Or is it to learn how to make games? The goal determines the best course of action. Part of you knows it's unlikely for you to make a hit game all by yourself. But another part of you is a bit of a misanthrope who doesn't want to have to deal with others, especially long-distance strangers. Or perhaps it's not so much misanthropy as it is fear of being discovered to be an inept communicator. That prickly exterior is really hiding a quivering fearful mass of jelly inside.

If your goal, however, is to learn how to make games, then you really need other people. Part of you knows you don't have all the necessary skills within yourself, but that other part of yourself doesn't want to give up a modicum of control. The reality is that in the real world of making games, very few are able to do it all themselves. Most likely, if you want to make games for the long haul, you're going to have to learn how to collaborate sooner or later. Why not sooner? Part of you sees this truth but part of you rejects it.

The problem is within you. You need to settle the internal conflict between You #1 and You #2 before you can move on. This isn't an unusual problem, BTW.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You should defenetly consider:

-Throwing 3d the hell out.
Think of all ou can do with 2d, totally unique gameplay, 3d only convolutes, is it really worth the energy?

-Not making fun games
there are alot of other stuff games can be than just "fun". "fun is like the least profound feeling you can have that is at all positive. What about an interesting game, a sad game, agame about something you think about?

-Making really really small games.
Not spending a minute to much on games that turn out to suck. make alot of as-quick-as-possible prototype, and when it isn't as good you thought it would be, move on. Don't spend alot of time on a game you dont reeeaally wanna do

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement