• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vladic2000x

"Signal Frequency is out of range"

This topic is 3450 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Look, we are doing a small game in Direct3D9 and not long ago we did a beta test and some users replied with a common problem: "Signal Frequency is out of range" (or very similar symptoms...) My first thought was about refresh rate. These symptoms are similar to when you manually try to select a refresh rate that is not supported by you monitor in Display properties. The way we select the refresh rate during initialization of Direct3D9 in our game is pretty simple. We list all the available modes for a given adapter format and then select the one with the best refresh rate for resolution 800x600. We decided to reproduce this problem on our computers. We thought that for those users that experienced that problem Windows overrides the refresh rate and in that case Direct3D9 will use the overridden refresh rate and not the one we supply. We decided to use the program RefreshForce(1.10) to set an unsupported refresh rate for 800x600 mode. And indeed we experienced the same problem like our beta users at game launch. How to go around this problem and instruct Direct3D to use our refresh rate and not the Windows override? Any hints, tips and help will be very appreciated! ~Thanks

Advertisement
Guys,

After overriding the refresh rate(for 800x600 mode) with RefreshForce to an unsupported 144 Hz value, checked the best refresh rate which is found by our game at initialization of Direct3D9 ...... and what a surprise -"EnumAdapterModes()" will return a refresh rate of 144Hz as available :)

Any ways to overcome this problem?

Some options:

- Instead of picking the highest refresh rate, use whatever refresh rate the desktop is set to. That rate is very likely to work for other resolutions too.

- Use the default refresh rate (I believe you can pass 0 to get it).

In addition you could allow the user to change the refresh rate in the options. Ideally have the 15 second timeout like Windows does when changing the settings.

Thanks Adam,

I decided to stay with:

1. Determine the highest supported refresh rate with EnumAdapterModes() for 800x600 resolution;
2. If previously determined refresh rate is greater than desktop display mode refresh rate, reset the refresh rate to D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT.

In the second point I make sure that if I get an unsupported refresh rate from EnumAdapterModes() (as in the example which I gave earlier) I reset it to the default one, which will definitely work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!